2 Questions about EM wave propagation

In summary, the electric and magnetic fields of an EM wave oscillate perpendicular to each other and the direction of propagation, and when one of them is at zero, the other is not, creating a sinusoidal pattern. In matter, EM waves are attenuated due to the forces they exert on charged particles, transferring energy and causing particles to move.
Cornfused
I was just reading about EM wave propagation and had two questions I would appreciate an answer to.
1-I read how the electric and magnetic fields of an EM wave oscillate sinusoidally and perpendicular to each other and the direction the wave is traveling. Is there any significance or special properties of an EM wave when the E and B fields are at zero or both on the axis in the direction of propagation?

2-As I understand it, EM waves can travel indefinitely in a vacuum, but not in matter. What is it that causes waves in matter to (for lack of a better word) stop or wear out? Is the energy in a wave converted to another form when it hits the atoms of the matter it is traveling through?

If it is easier, you can post a link that explains the answers. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll have a go at 1. It just means E = 0 or B = 0 (never both) periodically at any point in space. It is like noticing that as a water wave passes you there are times when the water level is normal (as if there was no wave).

EM waves are attenuated in matter due to them exerting forces on charged particles, transferring energy to them. The wave makes the electrons move, perhaps even pulling some away from their atoms.

Related to 2 Questions about EM wave propagation

1. What is an EM wave?

An EM wave, short for electromagnetic wave, is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. It does not require a medium to travel through and can travel through a vacuum.

2. How do EM waves propagate?

EM waves propagate, or travel, through space by the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. As one field changes, it induces a change in the other, creating a constantly oscillating wave. This wave can travel long distances at the speed of light.

3. What is the speed of an EM wave?

The speed of an EM wave is constant and is equal to the speed of light, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second in a vacuum.

4. How are EM waves classified?

EM waves are classified based on their frequency and wavelength. These include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

5. What are some practical applications of EM waves?

EM waves have many practical applications in our daily lives, including communication (radio and television signals), heating food in a microwave, medical imaging (X-rays and MRI), and many more in fields such as astronomy, remote sensing, and technology.