2 hanging masses with springs, find spring constant

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving Hooke's Law and equilibrium equations for two blocks connected by a spring. The individual free-body diagrams and equilibrium equations for each block are discussed, but it is ultimately determined that a combined free-body diagram and equation is needed to solve the problem. The correct equation is obtained and confirmed by substituting values and solving.
Hyperfluxe

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/0gexJ.png

Homework Equations

F=kx (Hooke's Law), ƩFy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free-body diagram for each block. For block A, I get the equilibrium equation: Fa = (10kg)(9.81ms^-2) = 98.1N = kx_a
x_a = 300mm-250mm = 50mm
k = 1.962kN/m

For block B I get the equilibrium equation of Fb = 98.1 - Wa = kx_b but it seems as I don't need this equation.

Is this correct, and if not, should I draw a "combined" FBD? If so, how? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hyperfluxe said:
Is this correct, and if not, should I draw a "combined" FBD? If so, how?
Your equation is not obtained from analyzing block A alone, but by treating A and B as a combined object. So you answered your own question, even if you didn't realize it.

If you analyzed A alone, you'd have to include the force from each spring and only the weight of A.

Oh I see. From drawing separate FBD's, I get the equations:
kxa = kxb + mag (block A)
kxb = mbg (block B)
Substitute kxb back into the first equation to get kxa = (ma + mb)g, where xa = 300mm - 250mm, thus k = 1.962kN/m.

Is this correct? Thank you.

Perfectly correct. Note that your final equation is equivalent to what you did earlier.

Thank you for you time and help =)

Related to 2 hanging masses with springs, find spring constant

What is the equation for finding the spring constant of 2 hanging masses with springs?

The equation for finding the spring constant (k) of 2 hanging masses with springs is k = (m1 + m2)g / (x1 + x2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two hanging objects, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and x1 and x2 are the displacements of the two masses from their equilibrium positions.

How do I calculate the spring constant if I do not know the masses of the hanging objects?

If the masses of the hanging objects are not known, you can still calculate the spring constant by using the equation k = w^2 * m / x, where w is the angular frequency of the system, m is the total mass of the system, and x is the displacement of the system from its equilibrium position.

Can the spring constant change for a system with 2 hanging masses and springs?

Yes, the spring constant can change for a system with 2 hanging masses and springs. It depends on factors such as the length and stiffness of the springs, the masses of the hanging objects, and the displacement of the system from its equilibrium position.

What units are used for the spring constant in this system?

The units for the spring constant in this system are newtons per meter (N/m). This is because the spring constant is a measure of the force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How does the spring constant affect the oscillation frequency of the system?

The spring constant directly affects the oscillation frequency of the system. A higher spring constant results in a higher oscillation frequency, meaning that the system will oscillate faster. Similarly, a lower spring constant will result in a lower oscillation frequency.