2-D temperature Distribution - Matlab or Excel

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature distribution of a triangular cross section with one insulated side and two exposed sides, given the initial temperatures and heat transfer coefficient. To solve this problem, we can break it down into smaller parts, focusing on the interior, corner, and exterior nodes. The equations for each type of node can be derived using the temperature distribution equation and the finite difference method. We can then use a matrix equation to find the coefficients and solve for the temperature distribution at each time step.
Rieck2000

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the temperature distribution of a triangular cross section (right triangle). The left side is insulated, the other two sides are exposed to an ambient temperature and heat transfer coefficient when t>0. Both sides of the triangle are 20 cm long and we are told to make the change in x = 4 cm, and to find the temperature distribution for one hour and to use an explicit difference scheme. The triangle is intially at 20 degrees C while the outside temperature is 400 degrees C.

Homework Equations

So for explicit difference:

Ti(n+1) = Ti(n) + Fo(Ti+1(n) -2Ti(n) + Ti-1(n))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been using excel at first. I am confused at how to set up the equations for interior nodes, the corners and exterior nodes.

I just need a good kick start . I was told by my teacher to use [A][T]=[c]

Physics news on Phys.org
and to find [A] and [c], where [A] represents the coefficients of the temperature distribution equation and [c] represents the known temperatures on the boundaries.

Hi there!

To start off, I would recommend breaking down the problem into smaller parts. First, let's focus on the interior nodes. Since the left side is insulated, we can assume that there is no heat transfer occurring on that side. This means that the temperature distribution equation for the interior nodes will be:

Ti(n+1) = Ti(n) + Fo(Ti+1(n) -2Ti(n) + Ti-1(n))

where i represents the node number and n represents the time step.

Next, let's focus on the corners. Since they are exposed to the ambient temperature and heat transfer coefficient, we can use the following equation:

Tcorner(n+1) = Tcorner(n) + Fo(Ti+1(n) -2Tcorner(n) + Ti-1(n)) + Fo(2Tambient - 4Tcorner(n))

where Tcorner represents the temperature at the corner node and Tambient represents the ambient temperature.

Finally, for the exterior nodes, we can use the equation:

Texterior(n+1) = Texterior(n) + Fo(Ti+1(n) -2Texterior(n) + Ti-1(n)) + Fo(2Tambient)

Now, to find the coefficients for the temperature distribution equation, we can use the finite difference method. This involves setting up a matrix equation with the known temperatures on the boundaries as the right-hand side, and the temperature coefficients as the elements of the matrix. We can then solve this matrix equation to find the temperature distribution at each time step.

I hope this helps to kick start your solution! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to 2-D temperature Distribution - Matlab or Excel

1. What is 2-D temperature distribution?

2-D temperature distribution refers to the variation in temperature across a two-dimensional space. This can be represented using a grid or matrix, with each point on the grid or matrix representing a specific temperature value.

2. How is 2-D temperature distribution measured?

2-D temperature distribution can be measured using a variety of methods, such as thermocouples, infrared cameras, or thermal imaging techniques. These methods allow for the capture of temperature data at multiple points in a two-dimensional space.

3. Why is it important to analyze 2-D temperature distribution?

Analyzing 2-D temperature distribution can provide valuable insights into the thermal behavior of a system or object. It can help identify areas of high or low temperature, temperature gradients, and potential heat transfer issues. This information is crucial for optimizing designs and improving the efficiency of processes.

4. Can 2-D temperature distribution be visualized using Matlab or Excel?

Yes, both Matlab and Excel offer tools for visualizing 2-D temperature distribution data. These programs allow for the creation of contour plots, heat maps, and other graphical representations of temperature data, making it easier to analyze and interpret.

5. How can I use 2-D temperature distribution data in my research or experiments?

2-D temperature distribution data can be used in a variety of research and experimental applications. It can help validate theoretical models, optimize designs, and identify potential issues in systems. Additionally, it can be used to track changes in temperature over time, which is useful for studying dynamic systems.