2^2^n - 1 has at least n distinct prime factors

In summary: This means that for each successive value of n, you get two more factors, 2^(2^(n-1))+1 and 2^(2^(n-1))-1. This means that for n values, you get n pairs of factors, each with a unique exponent of 2, and therefore n distinct prime factors.In summary, the third equation given in section 2 can be derived by repeatedly factoring the expression 2^(2^n)-1. This results in n pairs of factors, each with a unique exponent of
stgermaine
1. Homework Statement [/b]
Prove that the number [itex]2^{2^{n}} - 1[/itex] has at least n distinct prime factors.

Homework Equations

Seems like I'd have to use Fermat numbers and its properties to solve this question.

[itex]F(n) = 2^{2^{n}} + 1[/itex]
[itex]F(n) = (F(n-1) - 1)^{2} + 1[/itex]
[itex]F(n) = F(0)*F(1)*...*F(n-1) +2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I should try to show the recurrence relationships to demonstrate how I arrived at the answer.

The third equation would be the most helpful, since I have to show that F(n) - 2 has n distinct prime factors. I know how to show that gcd(F(m), F(n)) = 1, m!=n.

I tried to derive the third equation from the second one.
[itex]F(n) - 2 = (F(n-1) - 1)^{2} - 1 = [F(n-1)^{2} - 2*F(n-1) + 1] - 1 = F(n-1)(F(n-1)-2)[/itex]

I'd then substitute F(n-2)(F(n-2)-2) for F(n-1)-2 and try to work my way to the third equation given in section 2.

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get your third equation directly by factoring your expression like ##(x^2-1)## repeatedly.

Last edited:
Joffan said:
You can get your third equation directly by factoring your expression like ##(x^2-1)## repeatedly.

In case you didn't understand this and are still puzzled,
$$(x^2-1) = (x-1)(x+1)$$
$$2^{2x}-1 = (2^x-1)(2^x+1)$$
$$2^{2^x}-1 = (2^{2^{x-1}}-1)(2^{2^{x-1}}+1)$$

Related to 2^2^n - 1 has at least n distinct prime factors

1. What is the significance of "2^2^n - 1" in this statement?

The expression "2^2^n - 1" is known as a Fermat number, named after the mathematician Pierre de Fermat. These numbers take the form of 2 raised to a power of another power, minus 1 (e.g. 2^2^2 - 1 = 17). They have been studied extensively for their interesting properties and connections to prime numbers.

2. How does the number of distinct prime factors relate to the exponent n in this statement?

The statement "2^2^n - 1 has at least n distinct prime factors" means that for any value of n, the number 2^2^n - 1 will have at least n prime factors. In other words, as n increases, the number of distinct prime factors in 2^2^n - 1 also increases.

3. Can you provide an example of a value of n for which this statement is true?

When n = 2, the expression 2^2^n - 1 becomes 2^2^2 - 1 = 2^4 - 1 = 15. This number has 2 distinct prime factors (3 and 5), which satisfies the statement. Similarly, when n = 3, the expression becomes 2^2^3 - 1 = 2^8 - 1 = 255, which has 3 distinct prime factors (3, 5, and 17).

4. Is there a limit to how many distinct prime factors 2^2^n - 1 can have?

There is no known limit to the number of distinct prime factors in 2^2^n - 1. In fact, it has been proven that for every positive integer k, there exists a value of n for which 2^2^n - 1 has at least k distinct prime factors. This statement is known as the Zsigmondy's theorem.

5. What are some real-world applications of this statement?

While this statement may not have direct applications in the real world, it is a fundamental result in number theory and has implications for cryptography and computer science. It also provides insights into the distribution and properties of prime numbers, which have many practical applications in fields such as data encryption and coding theory.