Can f(n) equal f(x) in the sum of digits equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the "sum of digits" equation, where f(n) represents the sum of all digits of a natural number n. It is proven that for every natural number n, a convenient value of natural parameter p can be chosen for the equation f(npx)=f(x) to have a solution in natural numbers x that does not contain any "9" in its notation. Different cases are discussed, including when 30 is not divisible by n, when 30 and n share a common divisor, and when n=1111...1 in base ten.
dapet
"sum of digits" equation

Let f(n) denote the sum of (all) digits of natural number n. Prove that for each natural n we can choose convenient value of natural parameter p such that the equation f(npx)=f(x) has solution in natural numbers x that doesn't contain any "9" in its notation.

Does anybody have any idea? I don't... but I hope that you do... Actually I can solve a lot of special cases on a lot of pages... but I can't solve it generally. Is there any trick or only hard work? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you handle the case where n=1111...1 ?

one presumes you mean in base ten as well.

Yes, you're right... in base ten.

If 30 dosen't divide n, the result is true (see Acta Arithmetica 81; Mauduit and Scharkozy's article on sum of digits, theorem 2).
You can impose lot's of conditions on x (the only thing you really need is that you have an infintly choice on it) as x is in the set {1,11,111,1111,...}

If 30 divide n, the result is true too, but i don't have reference (it's only a special technical case).

Sorry i have done a small confusion : the 2 cases are
* If 30 is prime with n, then, ...
* If 30 and n have a commun divisor, then ...

1. What is the sum of digits equation?

The sum of digits equation is a mathematical equation that calculates the sum of the individual digits in a number. It is also known as the digital root or digital sum.

2. How do you calculate the sum of digits equation?

To calculate the sum of digits equation, you add together all the individual digits in a number. For example, if the number is 123, the sum of digits equation would be 1+2+3 = 6.

3. What is the significance of the sum of digits equation?

The sum of digits equation is often used in mathematics to simplify or solve complex equations. It is also used in number theory to identify patterns and relationships between numbers.

4. Can the sum of digits equation be used for any number?

Yes, the sum of digits equation can be used for any positive integer. It can also be applied to decimals by treating each digit as a whole number.

5. How is the sum of digits equation related to the number 9?

The sum of digits equation is related to the number 9 because any number that has a digital root of 9 is divisible by 9. This means that the sum of its digits will always be a multiple of 9.