1st order DE - word problem II

In summary: So, in summary, a tank initially contains 60 gallons of pure water and brine containing 1lb of salt per gallon enters the tank at a rate of 2 gallons per minute. The perfectly mixed solution leaves the tank at a rate of 3 gallons per minute, resulting in the tank being empty after 1 hour. To find the amount of salt in the tank after t minutes, we can use the first order linear differential equation: dQ/dt = 2 - 3Q/(60-t). The general solution to this equation is Q = (60-t)/2 + C/(60-t)^3. To find a specific solution, we can use the initial value Q(0) = 0,
ranger
Gold Member
A tank initially contains 60 gal of pure water. Brine (saltwater) containing 1lb of salt per gallon enters the tank at 2gal/min. and the (perfectly mixed) solution leaves the tank at 3 gal/min; thus the tank is empty after exactly 1 hr.
a)Find the amount of salt in the tank after t minutes.
b)What is the maximum amount of salt ever in the tank?

Let Q be the amount of salt.
I'll work with part a) first:

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = rate_{entering} - rate_{leaving}[/tex]

Rate of entering: 1lb/gal * 2gal/min = 2lb/min

Rate of leaving: [tex]\frac{Q}{(60-t)} \cdot \frac{3gal}{min} = \frac{3Q}{60-t}[/tex]

This gives me the first order linear differential to be:
[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = 2 - \frac{3Q}{60-t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{3Q}{60-t} = 2[/tex]
Well P(x) or P(t) in this case would be 3/(60-t), which when worked out would give me an integration factor of (60-t)^3.
I would eventually get:
[tex]Q\cdot (60-t)^3 = \int 2(60-t)^3[/tex]
[tex]Q\cdot (60-t)^3 = \frac{(60-t)^4}{2} + C[/tex]

[tex]Q = \frac{60-t}{2} + \frac{C}{(60-t)^3}[/tex]

Before I go ahead and find a specific solution, is my general solution correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks right to me

ranger said:
A tank initially contains 60 gal of pure water. Brine (saltwater) containing 1lb of salt per gallon enters the tank at 2gal/min. and the (perfectly mixed) solution leaves the tank at 3 gal/min; thus the tank is empty after exactly 1 hr.
a)Find the amount of salt in the tank after t minutes.
b)What is the maximum amount of salt ever in the tank?

Let Q be the amount of salt.
I'll work with part a) first:

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = rate_{entering} - rate_{leaving}[/tex]

Rate of entering: 1lb/gal * 2gal/min = 2lb/min

Rate of leaving: [tex]\frac{Q}{(60-t)} \cdot \frac{3gal}{min} = \frac{3Q}{60-t}[/tex]

This gives me the first order linear differential to be:
[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = 2 - \frac{3Q}{60-t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{3Q}{60-t} = 2[/tex]
Well P(x) or P(t) in this case would be 3/(60-t), which when worked out would give me an integration factor of (60-t)^3.
You've "lost a sign". The negative in "60-t" will introduce a negative into the integral. The integrating factor is (60-t)-3.

I would eventually get:
[tex]Q\cdot (60-t)^3 = \int 2(60-t)^3[/tex]
[tex]Q\cdot (60-t)^3 = \frac{(60-t)^4}{2} + C[/tex]

[tex]Q = \frac{60-t}{2} + \frac{C}{(60-t)^3}[/tex]

Before I go ahead and find a specific solution, is my general solution correct?

Wow. OK, so using the integrating factor (60-t)^-3:

[tex]Q\cdot (60-t)^{-3} = \int 2(60-t)^{-3}[/tex]

[tex]Q\cdot (60-t)^{-3} = \frac{1}{(60-t)^2} + C[/tex]

[tex]Q = -(60-t) + \frac{C}{(60-t)^{-3}}[/tex]

[tex]Q = C\cdot(60-t)^{-3} - (60-t)[/tex]

Using the initial values Q(0) = 0
I Get get C = 1/3600, which gives me a specific solution of:

[tex]Q = \frac{(60-t)^3}{3600} - (60-t)[/tex]

Looks good?

And for part b), is that like finding the maxima of the function Q(t)?

Last edited:
You've lost that same sign again!
Multiplying both sides by (60-t)3 does NOT change
[tex]\frac{1}{(60-t)^2}[/tex]
to - (60-t)!

Your formula is
[tex]Q(t)= \frac{(60-t)^3}{3600}+ (60-t)[/tex]

Yes, find when the "maximum amount of salt in the tank" is exactly like maximizing that function!

hi,

i'm working on a similar problem. I'm trying to figure out why it is (60-t) & not (60+t)...is it because the tank will empty out and we are calculating time backwards?

Who is calculating time backwards? The tanks starts with 60 gallons of water in it and loses one gallon per minute: after 1 minute, 60- 1= 59 gallons, after 2 minutes 60- 2= 58 gallons, etc. until, after 60 minutes 60-60= 0 gallons and the tank is empty. The formula is 60- t because the tank is emptying- the water is going out. It it were 60+t, the tank would be getter "fuller"- water would be coming in.

thanks. i didnt understand the equation fully. was thinking that in graph it would be Q vs t ...

now i got it.

Related to 1st order DE - word problem II

1. What is a 1st order differential equation?

A 1st order differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its first derivative. It is commonly used to model rates of change in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How do you solve a 1st order differential equation?

To solve a 1st order differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factor, and substitution. It is important to identify the type of equation and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

3. What is a word problem in relation to 1st order differential equations?

A word problem in relation to 1st order differential equations is a real-world scenario that can be described using a 1st order differential equation. It involves using mathematical models to solve problems in various fields such as physics, biology, and economics.

4. How can 1st order differential equations be applied in the real world?

1st order differential equations have numerous applications in the real world, such as predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, and analyzing financial markets. They are also used to design control systems in engineering and to study the behavior of physical systems.

5. What is the importance of understanding 1st order differential equations?

Understanding 1st order differential equations is crucial for many areas of science and engineering. They provide a powerful tool for modeling and analyzing real-world problems and can help in making predictions and designing efficient systems. Additionally, they serve as a foundation for more complex differential equations and mathematical concepts.