18 yrs Old: Still in Grade 10 [Owns 100K eBay Business] G.E.D or Diploma?

• Thread starter Manticore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Business
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their future career path. They have a passion for academia and research, but were expelled from school and have taken AP classes in various subjects. They also own a successful eBay business and are considering attending medical or pharmacy school. They are unsure about their future and are concerned about how their past actions may affect their opportunities in academia. They also mention struggling with balancing work and personal life and not enjoying a traditional 9-5 job. They are seeking guidance on how to pinpoint their goals and address their past failures.
Manticore
Hello,

I hoped that I could come here and perhaps get an answer about my future. I have always loved school and academia, and wish to have a future there.

However, I am 18 and I am still in grade 18. I was expelled for reasons last year. I have taken many AP Classes: Physics, Calculus, Chemistry and English, and have no problem learning other complex things with others or on my own.

I own an eBay Business and website that does 100-120K sales a year for about 3 years now. So I have money and family to help fund my future, but I love research and would like to start some kind of Business in the future based on Science when I get older, so I would like to become a researcher.

I don't know what I should do about my future. I didn't get any credits when I was in 9th and 10th grade, but that doesn't mean I didn't learn anything. I scored 5s and 4s on all my AP tests. I am well versed in Science, Math, Politics and Economics, but I don't have credit for all of my Humanity Classes, History Classes, and such. Basically, all my credits that I have are Math and Science, and even then I didn't get credit for my Hon. Geom. Class I took in 9th grade as I kind of didn't bother worth work. I would have much better been of being schooled as my desire for learning and exploring would have been devolved to a great intent.

Should I get my GED and attend College? Community? I still have not taken the SAT.

I am worried that because of my current standing, that possible higher level research levels in Academia will not be open to be since I know that where you went to school and did your research and stuff can really help your credibility as a scientist get you places other can not.

I wanted to attend Pharmacy School, but wanted because of the money, and I am not someone who can do a 9-5. I need to work on my own times, my work needs to be my life otherwise I am not efficient. So I now looking to attend Medical Schools to get my MD so I have a degree that will give me options that only an MD can get.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get your GED take your SAT's and move on. None of this will be a problem as long as you get your stuff together.

Manticore said:
Hello,

I hoped that I could come here and perhaps get an answer about my future. I have always loved school and academia, and wish to have a future there.

However, I am 18 and I am still in grade 18. I was expelled for reasons last year. I have taken many AP Classes: Physics, Calculus, Chemistry and English, and have no problem learning other complex things with others or on my own.

I own an eBay Business and website that does 100-120K sales a year for about 3 years now. So I have money and family to help fund my future, but I love research and would like to start some kind of Business in the future based on Science when I get older, so I would like to become a researcher.

I don't know what I should do about my future. I didn't get any credits when I was in 9th and 10th grade, but that doesn't mean I didn't learn anything. I scored 5s and 4s on all my AP tests. I am well versed in Science, Math, Politics and Economics, but I don't have credit for all of my Humanity Classes, History Classes, and such. Basically, all my credits that I have are Math and Science, and even then I didn't get credit for my Hon. Geom. Class I took in 9th grade as I kind of didn't bother worth work. I would have much better been of being schooled as my desire for learning and exploring would have been devolved to a great intent.

Should I get my GED and attend College? Community? I still have not taken the SAT.

I am worried that because of my current standing, that possible higher level research levels in Academia will not be open to be since I know that where you went to school and did your research and stuff can really help your credibility as a scientist get you places other can not.

I wanted to attend Pharmacy School, but wanted because of the money, and I am not someone who can do a 9-5. I need to work on my own times, my work needs to be my life otherwise I am not efficient. So I now looking to attend Medical Schools to get my MD so I have a degree that will give me options that only an MD can get.

my work needs to be my life otherwise I am not efficient.

- that's an issue right there, even to the most successful people they find a way to balance all facets of life...

you are jumping all over the place and seem to not know exactly what you want to do... first you mention an ebay business and then that maybe you want to go into business... pharmacy school... med school

I was expelled for reasons last year.

This is also a major issue.. it seems you are not working hard in your studies or you lack basic behavioral control...

First I would say pinpoint what do you want to do... you are 18 now and you are getting to the point where you need to decide somewhat on a career path...

Second, I would evaluate your failures... why did you flunk out? what do you need to change to achieve your goal(s)?

Next, evaluate if you enjoy business... do you like running your own company? If you don't like 9-5's than you will hate most any employment besides maybe academic work... (but that has strict responsibilities and if you don't produce grants/research... you are gone)

How can a kid/adult who is getting 5's on several AP's be flunking out of other classes and not getting credit... hard work has to be part of all of your endeavors, not ones you deem "more important" unless you want to focus on that specifically...

TheDoorsOfMe said:
Get your GED take your SAT's and move on. None of this will be a problem as long as you get your stuff together.

I thought so.

I am not really concerned about my financial future, and I have already taken upper level classes so I feel I am ready to enter first year university courses without problem. I spend my time working through math papers and do Calc II level work as a past time.

bleedblue1234 said:
- that's an issue right there, even to the most successful people they find a way to balance all facets of life...

you are jumping all over the place and seem to not know exactly what you want to do... first you mention an ebay business and then that maybe you want to go into business... pharmacy school... med school
This is also a major issue.. it seems you are not working hard in your studies or you lack basic behavioral control...

First I would say pinpoint what do you want to do... you are 18 now and you are getting to the point where you need to decide somewhat on a career path...

Second, I would evaluate your failures... why did you flunk out? what do you need to change to achieve your goal(s)?

Next, evaluate if you enjoy business... do you like running your own company? If you don't like 9-5's than you will hate most any employment besides maybe academic work... (but that has strict responsibilities and if you don't produce grants/research... you are gone)

How can a kid/adult who is getting 5's on several AP's be flunking out of other classes and not getting credit... hard work has to be part of all of your endeavors, not ones you deem "more important" unless you want to focus on that specifically...

Thank you for your insight. Being a Member of MENSA, I simply wanted to move at a more accelerated rate then the others at school. I'd spend my time writing papers on the probability of peoples actions in school based on various factors. During my years in Elementary School, I would amass the play ground and form what one would call political parties and leaders, starting conflict for debate and battle for lack of other entertainment.

I have made comment that I will not be looking into Pharmacy School, but Med School as the only thing in the future. My eBay business is ran buy 2 part time employees that I have, so I spend no time but perhaps an hour here and there once a week speaking to my Chinese Suppliers.

I firmly have goals for my future, and that is is Academic Research in the field of Genetics.

I was expelled because there was word our Superintendent and members on our School board were in a sandal of embezzlement. I spent years learning about networking security, so I was able to flip my knowledge of defense into an attack. I just submitted information that was later used to charge her embezzlement as proof and have information on where further information could be found.

The OP isn't even seeking any serious advice. This is just bufoonery.

bleedblue1234 said:

mordechai9 said:
The OP isn't even seeking any serious advice. This is just bufoonery.

Pardon me?
Yes I am.

I am unsure if I should just get my G.E.D, even though I have taken higher level AP courses, or should I get missing credits to get my High School Diploma, and continue on to University. I am well versed and ready to take on University Classes. I am worried that getting my G.E.D will hinder me in some way, as I would like to go a reputable Domestic or International University.

Best route: Adult school for a high school diploma; then community college for some remedial courses which the adult school does not offer; then to a college for Bachelor degree. You might be able to replace GED for the diploma.

Manticore,

I think the reason your sincerity is being questioned is because you're throwing a lot of extra information into your posts that seems unrelated to the questions you're asking. How, for example, is the amount of money your business supposedly makes relevant here?

During my years in Elementary School, I would amass the play ground and form what one would call political parties and leaders, starting conflict for debate and battle for lack of other entertainment.
We called this "British Bulldog" when I was a kid.

What I would recommend is to investigate the admission requirements of various universities that you might be interested in attending, then take whatever remedial classes necessary to qualify for admission.

Related to 18 yrs Old: Still in Grade 10 [Owns 100K eBay Business] G.E.D or Diploma?

1. What is a G.E.D?

A G.E.D stands for General Educational Development and it is an equivalent to a high school diploma. It is obtained after passing a series of tests that measure knowledge and skills typically acquired in high school.

2. Can you still attend college with a G.E.D instead of a diploma?

Yes, many colleges and universities accept G.E.D as a valid qualification for admission. However, it is always best to check with the specific institution to confirm their requirements.

3. How did this 18 year old manage to start a successful eBay business while still in grade 10?

Starting a successful business at a young age requires a combination of hard work, dedication, and a unique idea. This individual may have been passionate about entrepreneurship and had the drive to make their business idea a reality.

4. Is it possible to finish high school early and still be successful in the business world?

Yes, it is possible to finish high school early and still be successful in the business world. Many successful entrepreneurs have dropped out of high school or finished early to pursue their business goals. However, education is always important and can provide valuable skills and knowledge for success in any field.

5. Is a G.E.D considered less valuable than a high school diploma?

A G.E.D is not considered less valuable than a high school diploma. It is an equivalent qualification and is recognized by many institutions and employers. What matters most is the individual's skills, knowledge, and experience, rather than the specific type of qualification they have.