-17.2.10 y_p is a particular solution

In summary, you found that the general solution to a linear differential equation is the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation plus any particular solution to the entire equation.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$y''+2y'=3x$
$y_p = \frac{3}{4}x^2 - \frac{3}{4}x$,
$y(0)=y'(0)=0$$r^2 + 2r = 0$
$r(r-2)=0$
$r=0$
$r=2$

more steps...

$\textrm{mml final answer}$
$y=\frac{3}{8}\left(1-e^{-2x}\right)+\frac{3}{4}x^2 - \frac{3}{4}x$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, that was the next thing to do! Why? You found and solved the "characteristic equation". Where did you learn that? Didn't you, at the time you learned to find the "characteristic equation", learn why you would want to find it?

I would hope that you learned that, if a and b are distinct roots of the characteristic equation of a linear differential equation with constant coefficients, then [tex]Ce^{ax}+ De^{bx}[/tex] is the general solution to the corresponding "homogeneous equation". If you don't know that the whole exercise of finding and solving the characteristic equation is pretty pointless!

And at the same time you learned that (or shortly after) you should have learned that the general solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation is the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation plus any particular solution to the entire equation.

I added the y= to the OP but don't know how they got it

I think the Y= is just one step to the original question

Last edited:
karush said:
I added the y= to the OP but don't know how they got

I think the Y= is just one step to the original question

I was getting ready to reply that you need another initial condition, but you've fixed that. Also, I moved the thread to "Differential Equations" as that's a better fit for this thread.

Once you found the general homogeneous solution $y_h$, then armed with the particular solution $y_p$ you use the principle of superposition to state the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=y_h(x)+y_p(x)=c_1+c_2e^{2x}+\frac{3}{4}x^2-\frac{3}{4}x\)

So, what you want to do to find the parameters $c_i$ is to compute $y'(x)$, and the use the two initial conditions to obtain two equations in the two unknowns and solve the system.

Can you proceed?

$\textrm{Differtial equation solution}$
$$y=c_2 \sin(\sqrt{2}x)+c_1\cos(\sqrt{2}x)
+\frac{3x}{2}$$
$$y'=\sqrt{2}\sqrt{2}\cos(\sqrt{2}x)
-c_1\sqrt{2}\sin(\sqrt{2}x)$$
$\textrm{more steps...}$
$\textrm{mml final answer}$

Last edited:
$\textrm{set $y=0$ and $x=0$}$
$$0=c_2 \sin(\sqrt{2}(0))
+c_1\cos(\sqrt{2}(0))
+\frac{3(0)}{2}$$
$$0=c_2\sqrt{2}\cos(\sqrt{2}(0))
-c_1\sqrt{2}\sin(\sqrt{2}(0))$$
$ \textrm{really ?}.$$\textrm{mml final answer}$

I didn't notice before, but your characteristic roots are incorrect...we actually have:

\(\displaystyle r\in\{-2,0\}\)

And so the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=c_1+c_2e^{-2x}+\frac{3}{4}x^2-\frac{3}{4}x\)

And thus, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y'(x)=-2c_2e^{-2x}+\frac{3}{2}x-\frac{3}{4}\)

Using the given initial values, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y(0)=c_1+c_2=0\)

\(\displaystyle y'(0)=-2c_2-\frac{3}{4}=0\)

From these, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \left(c_1,c_2\right)=\left(\frac{3}{8},-\frac{3}{8}\right)\)

And so, the solution to the IVP is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=\frac{3}{8}-\frac{3}{8}e^{2x}+\frac{3}{4}x^2-\frac{3}{4}x=\frac{3}{8}\left(-e^{2x}+2x^2-2x+1\right)\)

that was very helpful:cool:,

The example I was looking was really hard to follow

I'll post another similar one and see if can get thru it

On a new OP

Related to -17.2.10 y_p is a particular solution

1. What is a particular solution in the context of -17.2.10 yp?

A particular solution in this context refers to a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies the given initial conditions. It is used to find the general solution to the equation.

2. How is a particular solution different from a general solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation, while a general solution is a set of all possible solutions to the equation. A particular solution is found by plugging in the initial conditions, while a general solution is found by solving the equation without specific initial conditions.

3. Can there be more than one particular solution to a differential equation?

Yes, there can be more than one particular solution to a differential equation, depending on the given initial conditions. Each set of initial conditions will result in a different particular solution.

4. How is a particular solution useful in solving a differential equation?

A particular solution allows us to find the general solution to a differential equation. By plugging in the initial conditions, we can determine the specific values of the constants in the general solution, making it a unique solution to the equation.

5. Is a particular solution always a unique solution to a differential equation?

No, a particular solution is not always a unique solution to a differential equation. Depending on the initial conditions, there may be multiple particular solutions, each corresponding to a different set of initial conditions. However, the general solution is always a unique solution to the equation.