Does chewing gum really improve memory?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, scientists conducted tests and found that chewing gum can improve the ability to remember words by 35%. This is possibly due to the stimulation of the front part of the brain and increased heart rate caused by chewing. However, there are other potential explanations involving insulin receptors and oxygen delivery to the brain. It is unclear if there is a difference between chewing gum and mimicking the chewing movement. Some speculate that reading out loud may not be as effective for memory retention. Overall, it is not certain if chewing gum truly improves memory, despite claims from some sources.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1870763.stm
In tests, scientists found the ability to recall remembered words improved by 35% among people who chewed gum.

Hmm, interesting :smile:

It might be old news but it's still interesting.

Biology news on Phys.org
I wonder if any1 has Any possible explanation for that? Does that mean that animals which chew all the time have good memories ;D

I heard about this on Discovery Channel today. The guy said it's because chewing gum stimulates the front part of the brain which is tied to learning stuff. Exercising the brain keeps it sharp :wink:.

Yes, cows probably do have good memory. That's why they'll kill you the first chance they get! (from the Simpsons).

ShawnD said:
I heard about this on Discovery Channel today. The guy said it's because chewing gum stimulates the front part of the brain which is tied to learning stuff. Exercising the brain keeps it sharp :wink:.

Yes, cows probably do have good memory. That's why they'll kill you the first chance they get! (from the Simpsons).
does the action of chewing resemble the action of talking?
if yes perhaps it can be determined if there is difference between reading a material out loud and reading the material whisperly (in respect to memory).

From the http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992039"

There are three main potential explanations, says Scholey. In March 2000, Japanese researchers showed that brain activity in the hippocampus, an area important for memory, increases while people chew - but it is not clear why.

Recent research has also found that insulin receptors in the hippocampus may be involved in memory. "Insulin mops up glucose in the bloodstream and chewing causes the release of insulin, because the body is expecting food. If insulin receptors in the brain are involved in memory, we may have an insulin-mediated mechanism explaining our findings - but that is very, very speculative," Scholey says.

But there could be a simpler answer. "One interesting thing we saw in our study was that chewing increased heart rate. Anything that improves delivery of things like oxygen in the brain, such as an increased heart rate, is a potential cognitive enhancer to some degree," he says.
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
loop quantum gravity said:
does the action of chewing resemble the action of talking?
if yes perhaps it can be determined if there is difference between reading a material out loud and reading the material whisperly (in respect to memory).
It does say they tested 1/3 who chewed gum, 1/3 who mimicked the chewing movement and the rest who did not chew, but it doesn't mention whether there was a difference between the gum and mimick chewers :)

But I don't think it is related to the study, since the chewing is related with a food-reflex. Reading out loud would seem distracting to me, since you're more worried about articulating and speaking the words than the context of the text, but that might just be me :)

There are three main potential explanations, says Scholey... blablabla

I'm just interested in whether I should run to the shop and buy some gum.
So is it true or not :frown:

Probably not. Otherwise Sportlife would have used this argument that it improves your memory in TV spots all the sime! :biggrin:

1. How does chewing gum improve memory?

Chewing gum has been found to increase the flow of oxygen to the brain, which can improve cognitive function and memory. It also stimulates the hippocampus, the area of the brain responsible for memory formation.

2. Is there a specific type of gum that is most effective for improving memory?

There is no specific type of gum that has been proven to be more effective than others for improving memory. However, some studies have shown that sugar-free gum may have a more positive effect on cognitive function.

3. How long does the effect of chewing gum on memory last?

The effects of chewing gum on memory are temporary and typically last for about 20 minutes. This is due to the increased blood flow and stimulation of the hippocampus during the act of chewing.

4. Can chewing gum improve memory in children?

Some studies have shown that chewing gum can improve memory in children, as it can help them focus better and retain information. However, more research is needed to fully understand the effects of chewing gum on children's memory.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of chewing gum on memory?

While chewing gum has been found to have positive effects on memory, it can also be a distraction for some individuals. Chewing gum excessively can also cause jaw pain and headaches in some people. It is important to use moderation when chewing gum for memory improvement.