100(1-alpha) Confidence Interval for μ when μ and σ^2 are unknown

In summary, a confidence interval is a range of values used to estimate the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence. It is important to use a confidence interval for the population mean when the mean and variance are unknown because it provides a more reliable estimate. The confidence level for a confidence interval is chosen by the researcher and is typically set at 95% or 99%. The formula for calculating a confidence interval for the population mean when the mean and variance are unknown is x̄ ± tα/2 * s/√n. Increasing the sample size leads to a narrower confidence interval as it provides a more precise estimate for the population mean.
cimmerian

Homework Statement

X1,...Xn is a random sample from N(μ, σ^2)

Homework Equations

Estimator of μ maybe?

a1 + a2 = a
a1 = a2 = a/2

(x-μ)/(σ/√n)~N(0,1)

((x-μ)/σ)^2~Chi square(1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to replace μ with its estimator xbar but that gives me 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
This may just be me, but I don't see the question in this.

I'm supposed to find the 100(1 - alpha) confidence interval for μ

cimmerian said:
I'm supposed to find the 100(1 - alpha) confidence interval for μ

Then use the t-distribution; that is what it was made for.

RGV

Related to 100(1-alpha) Confidence Interval for μ when μ and σ^2 are unknown

1. What is a confidence interval?

A confidence interval is a range of values that are likely to contain the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence. In this case, it refers to the range of values for the population mean, μ, with a specified level of confidence.

2. Why is it important to use a confidence interval for μ when μ and σ^2 are unknown?

When μ and σ^2 are unknown, we cannot make accurate statements about the population mean based on a single sample. Using a confidence interval allows us to estimate the range of values for μ with a certain level of confidence, making our conclusions more reliable.

3. How is the confidence level determined for a confidence interval for μ?

The confidence level is typically chosen by the researcher and represents the probability that the confidence interval will contain the true population parameter. It is often set at 95% or 99%.

4. What is the formula for calculating a 100(1-alpha) confidence interval for μ when μ and σ^2 are unknown?

The formula is: x̄ ± tα/2 * s/√n, where x̄ is the sample mean, tα/2 is the t-critical value based on the desired confidence level and sample size, s is the sample standard deviation, and n is the sample size.

5. How does increasing the sample size affect the width of the confidence interval for μ when μ and σ^2 are unknown?

Increasing the sample size decreases the width of the confidence interval. This is because a larger sample size leads to a more precise estimate of the population mean, resulting in a narrower range of values for the confidence interval.