1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT

In summary, the conversation discusses the Intermediate Value Theorem and its application to a function that is continuous on a closed interval. The conversation presents five choices and it is determined that the correct choice is that $f(x)=13$ has at least one solution in the interval $(2,4)$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
I thot I posted this before but couldn't find it ... if so apologize

Let f be a function that is continuous on the closed interval [2,4] with $f(2)=10$ and $f(4)=20$
Which of the following is guaranteed by the $\textbf{Intermediate Value Theorem?}$

$a.\quad f(x)=13 \textit{ has a least one solution interval } (2,4)$
$b.\quad f(3)=f(15)$
$c. \quad \textit{f attains a maximum on the open interval } (2,4)$
$d.\quad f'(x)=5 \textit{ has at least one solution in the open interval }(2,4)$
$e. \quad f'(x)>0\textit{ for all x in the open interval }(2,4)$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the format of the 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT?

The 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT is a written exam consisting of multiple-choice and free-response questions. It is divided into two sections: Section I, which contains 45 multiple-choice questions, and Section II, which contains 6 free-response questions.

2. What topics are covered in the 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT?

The 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT covers topics related to the Intermediate Value Theorem (IVT), including continuity, limits, derivatives, and applications of derivatives. It also includes questions on related rates, optimization, and curve sketching.

3. How long is the 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT?

The 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT is 3 hours and 15 minutes long. Section I is 1 hour and 45 minutes, and Section II is 1 hour and 30 minutes.

4. Can a calculator be used on the 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT?

Yes, a graphing calculator is allowed on the 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT. However, certain functions and programs may be restricted, and students are not allowed to share calculators during the exam.

5. How is the 1.8.2 AP Calculus Exam IVT scored?

The multiple-choice questions in Section I are scored based on the number of correct answers, with no penalty for incorrect answers. The free-response questions in Section II are scored based on the accuracy and completeness of the solutions. The scores from both sections are combined to determine a student's overall score, which is then converted to a 5-point scale.