Young's Double-slit Experiment

In summary: Therefore,Y = R*m*λ / d ≅ m*λ*R/dBut the first formula is more accurate and takes into account the actual angle of the light beams, which is why it gives a slightly different answer. Both formulas can be used, but the first one will give a more precise result.
Chris Okeef

Homework Statement

In a KhanAcademy video, light of wavelength 700nm shines through a double-slit whose holes are spaced 1300nm
apart. If a screen is placed 3m away from the double-slit, what will be the distance from the central bright spot on the screen to the next bright spot?
https://www.khanacademy.org/test-pr...agnetic /v/youngs-double-slit-problem-solving

Homework Equations

per KhanAcademy: d*sinθ = m*λ

per what I think: Y = R*m*λ / d

d = distance between the 2 slits
m = whether it's the 1st, 2nd, 3rd bright band
Y = distance from central bright
R = distance from double-slit to screen

The Attempt at a Solution

per KhanAcademy and using d*sinθ = m*λ

d*sinθ = m*λ
1300nm*sinθ = 1*700nm
sinθ = 700nm / 1300nm
θ = 32.6°

then use this to find Y
tanθ = Y / X
Y = tanθ*X
Y= tan(32.6°)*3m
Y= 0.64*3
Y= 1.92mper what I think and using Y = R*m*λ / d

Y = R*m*λ / d
Y = 3m*1*700nm / 1300nm
Y = 1.62m

(nanometers were converted to meters. I just did it this way to save space when typing it here)

My Question: Which equation should I use? Why am I getting different answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second formula is the small angle approximation:
then sin(θ) ≅ θ in radians and θ ≅ Y/R

Last edited:

Related to Young's Double-slit Experiment

What is Young's Double-slit Experiment?

Young's Double-slit Experiment is a famous experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits onto a screen, and observing the resulting interference pattern.

What is the purpose of Young's Double-slit Experiment?

The purpose of Young's Double-slit Experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like nature of light and to support the theory of wave-particle duality, which states that light can behave as both a particle and a wave.

What are the key findings of Young's Double-slit Experiment?

The key findings of Young's Double-slit Experiment include the fact that light exhibits interference and diffraction patterns, which can only be explained by its wave-like nature. This also supports the idea that light is made up of individual particles, known as photons.

What factors affect the interference pattern in Young's Double-slit Experiment?

The interference pattern in Young's Double-slit Experiment can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. It can also be influenced by the material of the slits and the presence of any obstructions or imperfections.

How is Young's Double-slit Experiment relevant in modern science?

Young's Double-slit Experiment continues to be relevant in modern science as it is a fundamental experiment that supports the wave-particle duality theory and has implications in fields such as quantum mechanics and optics. It also serves as a basis for understanding the nature of light and its behavior in various scenarios.