How Many Bright Spots Are Visible When Laser Shines Through Slits?

• Thread starter hellowmad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the angular position of the first diffraction minimum for a 480 nm laser incident on a barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m and a screen 2.0 m behind is θ≈sinθ= λ/a. With a second slit of the same width and centers 2.4 x 10-4 m apart, the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region are -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, resulting in a total of 5. This is based on the equations dsinθ=mλ and x=λml/d for constructive and destructive interference, respectively.
hellowmad
Homework Statement
The 480 nm laser is incident on an opaque barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m. A screen to view the light intensity pattern is 2.0 m behind the barrier. Then a 2nd slit of the same width is made in the barrier. The centers of the slits are 2.4 x 10-4 m apart. Approximately how many smaller bright spots are now observable within the central bright region?
Relevant Equations
d sinθ = mλ for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(constructive)
d sinθ = (m + 1/2 λ) for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(destructive)
x =λml/d
The angular position of t)he first diffraction minimum is θ≈sinθ= λ/a, and dsinθ=mλ, so m = (dsinθ) /=[d(λ/a)]/λ =d/a = (2.4 x 10-4 m)/(8.0 x 10-5 m) =3.
Since both bright and dark pots separated on both sides of central bright region, so the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region is -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, which leads to total 5.
I want to see if I do it right.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hellowmad said:
Well, there's a picture here. Is that what you mean with your question ?

(PF doesn't really do approval stamps :wink: .)

##\ ##

Likes hellowmad
hellowmad said:
Homework Statement: The 480 nm laser is incident on an opaque barrier with a single slit of width 8.0 x 10-5 m. A screen to view the light intensity pattern is 2.0 m behind the barrier. Then a 2nd slit of the same width is made in the barrier. The centers of the slits are 2.4 x 10-4 m apart. Approximately how many smaller bright spots are now observable within the central bright region?
Relevant Equations: d sinθ = mλ for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(constructive)
d sinθ = (m + 1/2 λ) for m = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, ….(destructive)
x =λml/d

The angular position of t)he first diffraction minimum is θ≈sinθ= λ/a, and dsinθ=mλ, so m = (dsinθ) /=[d(λ/a)]/λ =d/a = (2.4 x 10-4 m)/(8.0 x 10-5 m) =3.
Since both bright and dark pots separated on both sides of central bright region, so the smaller bright spots observable within the central bright region is -2, -1, 0, 1, and 2, which leads to total 5.
Thanks
Looks right to me.

Likes hellowmad
BvU said:
Well, there's a picture here. Is that what you mean with your question ?

(PF doesn't really do approval stamps :wink: .)

##\ ##
Yes it is want I mean. Thanks.

haruspex said:
Looks right to me.
thank for checking