You have only 3 minutes for a better solution to this integral

• MHB
  • Thread starter Lorena_Santoro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, an integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve and is important in real-world applications. The time limit for solving an integral is meant to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. There are tips and tricks, such as substitution and integration by parts, that can help solve integrals quickly. While technology can be helpful, it is important to understand the concepts behind integration. With practice and creativity, it is possible to find efficient solutions to integrals in a short amount of time.
Lorena_Santoro

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$\cos^3(2x) = [1-\sin^2(2x)]\cos(2x)$

use the substitution $u = \sin(2x) \implies du = 2\cos(2x) \, dx$

$\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2} \int_0^1 1-u^2 \, du$

you can finish up from here

skeeter said:
$\cos^3(2x) = [1-\sin^2(2x)]\cos(2x)$

use the substitution $u = \sin(2x) \implies du = 2\cos(2x) \, dx$

$\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2} \int_0^1 1-u^2 \, du$

you can finish up from here
Thank you!

Related to You have only 3 minutes for a better solution to this integral

1. How can I solve this integral in just 3 minutes?

The key to solving this integral quickly is to use a combination of algebraic manipulation, substitution, and integration by parts. It is important to carefully identify and simplify any complex terms before attempting to integrate.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral in a short amount of time?

One common mistake is to rush through the problem without fully understanding the given function or limits of integration. It is also important to double check all calculations and to avoid skipping steps in the solving process.

3. Can I use any shortcuts to solve this integral faster?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts that can be used to solve integrals quickly. These include using trigonometric identities, recognizing patterns in the given function, and using the properties of definite integrals.

4. How can I improve my speed and accuracy when solving integrals?

Practice is key when it comes to improving speed and accuracy in solving integrals. It is also helpful to review and memorize common integration formulas and techniques, and to stay organized and focused during the solving process.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can assist with solving integrals quickly?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available, such as integral calculators and step-by-step guides, that can help with solving integrals efficiently. However, it is important to use these resources as a supplement to understanding the concepts and techniques behind solving integrals.