Is it possible to find the integral of ##f(x)/x^2##?

• B
  • Thread starter MevsEinstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, Wolfram Alpha couldn't integrate it, but there are problems that it couldn't solve, so I'm not 100% sure that Wolfram Alpha is right.
MevsEinstein
TL;DR Summary
What the title says
I am creating an integration technique and I have only one step left! I need to integrate ##f(x)/x^2## and then I'll be done. So I want to know if integrating this is possible.

Wolfram Alpha can't integrate it, but there are problems that it couldn't solve, so I'm not 100% sure that Wolfram Alpha is right.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oops

You'll need to tell us about f(x) and the domain. Some functions just aren't integrable. For example, if ##f(x)=x##, ##\int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{x} \, dx## doesn't work. Wolfram Alpha told me so.

For arbitrary f(x), the answer is no.

• Love
Likes Mark44
You can't get an explicit solution without knowing what f(x) is. You can use integration by parts to express the integral in terms of integrals or derivatives of f(x). For some f(x) this can lead to simpler expressions, but that depends on f(x).

MevsEinstein said:
So what if ##f(x)## has a domain that accepts all integers?
That does not narrow things down very much.

If you have a function that is integrable and you undefine it at all integers, it does not become unintegrable.

MevsEinstein said:
That doesn't help because:

DaveE said:
You'll need to tell us about f(x)
mathman said:
For arbitrary f(x), the answer is no.
mfb said:
You can't get an explicit solution without knowing what f(x) is.

Not sure how many different ways we can say the same thing.

MevsEinstein said:
What do you mean? Didn't @DaveE provide you with an example of an ##f(x)## that is defined for all ##\mathbb{R}##?

If there was an easy way to integrate ##f(x)/x^2##, then given ##f##, you can just say ##g(x)=x^2 f(x)## and then compute the integral of ##g(x)/x^2##. Then you have the integral of ##f##.

So whatever other intermediate steps you were going to make, they wouldn't actually be needed.

Likes malawi_glenn

1. Can the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## be solved analytically?

Yes, the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## can be solved analytically using techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

2. Are there any special cases where the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## cannot be solved analytically?

Yes, if the function ##f(x)## is too complex or involves special functions, the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## may not have a closed form solution and can only be approximated numerically.

3. Is it possible to find the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## without using calculus?

No, the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## requires the use of calculus as it involves finding the anti-derivative of a function.

4. Can the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## be solved using computer software?

Yes, there are many computer software programs such as Mathematica, Matlab, and Wolfram Alpha that can solve the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## numerically or symbolically.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the integral of ##f(x)/x^2##?

Yes, the integral of ##f(x)/x^2## has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the gravitational potential energy of a mass distribution or the work done by a varying force.