Wrong Time: Forum Time Off by 1 Hour

• Thread starter AKG
  • Start date
In summary, the time on the forums is off by an hour. It's been off by about an hour and 10 minutes for the past few weeks.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think this just started happening recently: the time shown on the forums is off by an hour. It's 9:42 PM here, but when I post it, it will show 8:42 PM. If I click "New Posts", the lastest one will be time-stamped at no later than 8:42 PM. I have my profile set to the correct time zone (GMT - 5:00, EST Canada and US) and daylight savings settings.

Physics news on Phys.org
PF has recently declared its own time zone.

- Warren

9:16 my time, 8:07 PF time.

AKG said:
I think this just started happening recently: the time shown on the forums is off by an hour. It's 9:42 PM here, but when I post it, it will show 8:42 PM. If I click "New Posts", the lastest one will be time-stamped at no later than 8:42 PM. I have my profile set to the correct time zone (GMT - 5:00, EST Canada and US) and daylight savings settings.

I've noticed this same problem.

Yea, this has been going on for a few weeks now. It seems to be off by about an hour and 10 minutes. I've had to change all the clocks in my house to avoid confusion. Luckily I have nothing else to do.

StatusX said:
Yea, this has been going on for a few weeks now. It seems to be off by about an hour and 10 minutes. I've had to change all the clocks in my house to avoid confusion. Luckily I have nothing else to do.
Brilliant idea! Since this doesn't seem to be something that's going to be fixed any time soon, I should do the same.

The time problem started after the prolonged 2 day outage a few weeks ago. The time has been off since the server came back up.

Evo said:
The time problem started after the prolonged 2 day outage a few weeks ago. The time has been off since the server came back up.
When it first came back on, it was drifting all over the place. It's been pretty consistently about an hour off all week (at least).

Related to Wrong Time: Forum Time Off by 1 Hour

1. What is causing the time difference on the forum?

The time difference on the forum is most likely due to a misconfiguration of the server's time settings or a glitch in the forum's code. It could also be caused by a daylight saving time change or a difference in time zones between the server and the user's location.

2. How can I fix the time difference on the forum?

The best way to fix the time difference on the forum is to adjust the server's time settings to match the correct time zone or to manually set the correct time. If the issue persists, it may require troubleshooting the forum's code or seeking assistance from the forum's technical support team.

3. Will the time difference affect the functionality of the forum?

In most cases, a small time difference of 1 hour will not significantly affect the functionality of the forum. However, it may cause confusion or inconvenience for users who rely on the forum's time for scheduling or time-sensitive discussions.

4. How can I prevent this issue from happening again in the future?

To prevent this issue from happening again, it is important to regularly check and adjust the server's time settings, especially during daylight saving time changes. It may also be helpful to regularly update the forum's code and plugins to ensure they are functioning correctly.

5. Why is it important to have accurate time on the forum?

Having accurate time on the forum is important for maintaining a cohesive and organized community. It allows for timely discussions and event planning, and ensures that posts and replies are displayed in the correct chronological order. Inaccurate time can also cause confusion and frustration among users.