What time did they both set off?

So I'm thinking the time they both set off is 11:45am, and finally solved this problem! In summary, Willy and Milly leave their starting points at the same time and travel towards each other, with Milly being faster. They pass each other at noon without stopping. Milly arrives at her starting point at 1:00 pm and Willy arrives at his starting point at 2:15 pm. To find the time they both set off, we can use the equations v = d / t and v = (d2 - d1) / (t2 - t1) to represent their speeds, distances, and times. By setting these two equations equal to each other and substituting the expression
GoghAway

Homework Statement

Willy leaves point A and Milly leaves point B, both of them are heading toward each other's starting point. They both have constant speeds, but Milly is faster, and they pass each other at noon without stopping. Milly arrives at point A at 1:00 pm, and Willy arrives at point B at 2:15 pm. At what time did they both set off?

Homework Equations

v = d / t
v = (d2 - d1) / (t2 - t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm putting the data here because it's what I think the problem is telling me, but I know I could be wrong.

Willy
d = D
v = Vw
t = (14.25 hours - t1)

Vw = D / (14.25 h - t1)

Milly
d = D
v = Vm
t = (13.0 hours - t1)

Vm = D / (13.0 h - t1)

After noon
Willy
d = (D - d1)
v = Vw
t = 2.25 hours

Vw = (D - d1) / 2.25 h

Milly
d = d1
v = Vm
t = 1 hour

Vm = d1 / (1 h)

Since Milly is going faster noon, or when they meet would be after the midpoint between point A and B for her, and before the midpoint for Willy.

Since Willy's velocity is always the same:
D/(14.25 h - t1) = (D - d1)/2.25 h
D (2.25 h) = (D - d1)(14.25 h - t1)
D = ((D - d1)(14.25 h - t1)) / (2.25 h)

Since Milly's velocity is always the same:
D/(13.0 h - t1) = d1/(1 h)
D (1 h) = d1 (13.0 h - t1)
D = (d1 (13.0 h - t1)) / (1 h)
d1= (D (1 h)) / (13.0 h - t1)

I'm not sure whether I can sub what D = or what d1 = from what I have since Willy's velocity is always the same with what I have since Milly's velocity is always the same or vice versa. Either way, I don't think I know enough of the unknowns to come up with a numerical value as an answer, but I don't know how to get the information that I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your method will work. You have gotten to the two equations

D = ((D - d1)(14.25 h - t1)) / (2.25 h)

d1= (D (1 h)) / (13.0 h - t1)

It looks like you have two equations with three unknowns. But see what happens if you substitute the expression for d1 of the second equation into the first equation.

Likes GoghAway
I believe we are given that they both set off at the same time.

Thank you TSny! I did as you suggested, and checked the times to see if both Milly and Willy had the correct amount of time after they meet at noon so they would arrive at the correct times, which they did!

Related to What time did they both set off?

1. What is the significance of knowing the exact time they both set off?

Knowing the exact time they both set off is important for tracking their progress and determining how long it will take them to reach their destination. It also allows for more accurate calculations and comparisons between their journeys.

2. How can the time they both set off affect their journey?

The time they both set off can affect their journey in terms of weather conditions, traffic patterns, and availability of transportation. It also determines when they will arrive at their destination and if they will encounter any obstacles or delays.

3. Is it necessary to know the exact time or an estimate is enough?

It is ideal to know the exact time they both set off, but an estimate can still provide valuable information. However, the more accurate the time is, the more precise the analysis and predictions can be.

4. How can you determine the time they both set off?

The time they both set off can be determined by asking them directly, checking any travel documents or tickets, or tracking their location through GPS or other means of technology.

5. Can the time they both set off change during their journey?

Yes, the time they both set off can change during their journey due to unforeseen circumstances such as delays, detours, or changing modes of transportation. It is important to keep track of any changes to accurately analyze their journey.