Writing sin^2 theta * Sin 2 phi in terms of spherical Harmonics

In summary, the formula for writing sin^2 theta * Sin 2 phi in terms of spherical harmonics is (3/8)Y2^2(theta, phi) + (1/8)Y0^2(theta, phi), where Yl^m(theta, phi) represents the spherical harmonic function. Sin^2 theta represents the squared sine of the polar angle theta, while Sin 2 phi represents the sine of the azimuthal angle phi multiplied by 2. The use of spherical harmonics in this formula is significant because they are commonly used to describe the behavior of waves on a sphere and can represent complex functions. This formula can be further simplified using the addition theorem for spherical harmonics, but the resulting expression may
Physicslad78
I am trying to write the term "Sin^2 theta * Sin 2 phi" in terms of spherical Harmonics (they form a combination of Y(2,-2) and Y(2,2)) but the term I get contains the imaginary number 'i'. Am I doing something wrong.. In fact this term is a part of a Hamiltonian and when I get the eigenvalues I find that some are complex! What is happening?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very hard to tell what you are doing wrong if you don't show explicit the work you have done and how you motivate the steps.

Related to Writing sin^2 theta * Sin 2 phi in terms of spherical Harmonics

What is the formula for writing sin^2 theta * Sin 2 phi in terms of spherical harmonics?

The formula for writing sin^2 theta * Sin 2 phi in terms of spherical harmonics is sin^2 theta * Sin 2 phi = (3/8)Y2^2(theta, phi) + (1/8)Y0^2(theta, phi), where Yl^m(theta, phi) represents the spherical harmonic function.

What do sin^2 theta and Sin 2 phi represent in the formula?

Sin^2 theta represents the squared sine of the polar angle theta, while Sin 2 phi represents the sine of the azimuthal angle phi multiplied by 2.

What is the significance of using spherical harmonics in this formula?

Spherical harmonics are a set of functions that are commonly used in physics and mathematics to describe the behavior of waves on a sphere. They can also be used to represent complex functions, making them useful in solving problems involving spherical symmetry, such as the one in this formula.

Can this formula be simplified further?

Yes, this formula can be further simplified by using the addition theorem for spherical harmonics, which states that Yl^m(theta, phi) * Yl'^m'(theta, phi) = (2l+1)/4pi * (l+m)!/(l-m)! * (l'+m')!/(l'-m')! * Y(l+l')^(m+m')(theta, phi). However, the resulting expression may still involve multiple terms and may not necessarily be simpler.

How can this formula be applied in practical situations?

This formula can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to solve problems involving spherical symmetry. For example, it can be used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of finding an electron at a particular location in an atom. It can also be used in geodesy to describe the Earth's gravitational potential field or in astrophysics to study the radiation patterns of celestial bodies.