Compton scattering in a general medium

weafq
Homework Statement
In a medium of refractive index ๐‘›, the wavelength of light ๐œ†0 is related to its frequency ๐‘“0 . Variables given: input photon frequency ๐‘“, outgoing photon angle ๐œƒ, outgoing photon frequency ๐‘“โ€ฒ, outgoing electron angle ๐œ™, outgoing electron energy ๐ธ and outgoing electron momentum ๐’‘. In this problem, the momenta of all particles, before and after, lie entirely in the plane of the paper.

Part 1: Write the energy conservation equation and the momentum conservation equations for Compton scattering for incident and outgoing photons in a medium of refractive index n

Part 2: Solve the equations to obtain the outgoing photon frequency ๐‘“โ€ฒ in the following form:
๐‘“โ€ฒ = [โˆ’๐ต ยฑ โˆš(๐ต^2 โˆ’ 4๐ด๐ถ) ]/ (2๐ด) where you are to determine the unknowns ๐ด, ๐ต and ๐ถ in terms of ๐‘“, ๐‘, ๐‘›, ๐œƒ, and electron rest mass ๐‘š. You may use the fact that for general (relativistic) electrons, the dispersion relation is ๐ธ = โˆš[(๐‘๐‘)^2 + (๐‘š๐‘^2)^2]
Relevant Equations
๐œ†0 = ๐‘/(๐‘›๐‘“0) where ๐‘ is the speed of light in vacuum
For part one, my energy conservation equation is nhf0 + mc2 = nhf' + E

my momentum conservation in x-axis is nhf0= nhf' cos(theta) + c๐’‘ cos(fi)

My momentum conservation in y-axis is nhf' sin(theta) = c๐’‘ sin(fi)

For part 2 I understand that I am supposed to get a qudratic equation in terms of f' but when I tried combining all three equations but all I did was derive Compton shift equation. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited: