Worried About Selected Graduate Research Topic

In summary, the person is seeking advice regarding their concerns about their chosen graduate school topic not being their true passion and potential. They initially planned to study aerodynamics but changed to fluid dynamics and combustion due to the broad opportunities it offers. They are worried about potentially missing out on exploring their passion later in life. However, it is suggested to give the second choice a chance as the applications of fluid dynamics are vast and it may end up being a better fit in the long run.
Aero51
Hey, I'm just looking for some advice with regards to a bad gut feeling I've been having lately. I will be starting graduate school this fall and I am worried that the topic I chose is not the "best" topic for me. By best, I mean a subject I feel is not my true passion and will not allow me to exercise my potential most effectively. Originally, I was going to go to graduate school for aerodynamics, but changed my decision after learning that there is very little theoretical work going on the the field. I ended up decided to pursue fluid dynamics and combustion with the hope that this field is sufficiently broad to explore additional interests in the future. I'm a little nervous right now as I don't want to screw my entire life up over one decision haha.

In a way, this feeling reminds me a little bit like getting "cold feet" on a first date. Is this normal? I really not sure what to do with the feelings. Obviously I will give my second choice a chance, but I am worried about the possible opportunity to explore my passion later on in life.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fluid dynamics and especially CFD will really allow you to do a LOT of different things... of course if you hate CFD, that's one problem, but the applications of CFD are vast. I went to grad school planning to study one thing, realized there was no money to pay my GRA in that, so I chose a different subtopic of nuclear engineering instead. It ended up being a great decision, and now I really like what I do, and realize it's a better topic for me than what I thought I wanted to study. So I'd say give it a chance.

Related to Worried About Selected Graduate Research Topic

What are some common concerns when selecting a graduate research topic?

Some common concerns when selecting a graduate research topic may include the level of difficulty of the topic, the relevance to the current field of study, the availability of resources and support for the topic, and potential ethical considerations.

How can I determine if a graduate research topic is feasible?

To determine if a graduate research topic is feasible, you can conduct a literature review to see if there is existing research on the topic, consult with your advisor or other experts in the field, and consider the resources and time needed to complete the research.

Is it important to have a personal interest in the chosen graduate research topic?

Having a personal interest in the chosen graduate research topic can be beneficial in keeping you motivated and engaged throughout the research process. However, it is not always necessary as long as the topic aligns with your academic and career goals.

What steps should I take to narrow down my options for a graduate research topic?

To narrow down your options for a graduate research topic, you can brainstorm ideas, conduct a preliminary literature review, consider the resources and time available, and consult with your advisor or other experts in the field.

How can I ensure my graduate research topic is original and contributes to the field?

To ensure your graduate research topic is original and contributes to the field, you can conduct a thorough literature review to identify any gaps in existing research, consult with your advisor or other experts in the field, and clearly define the research question and potential contributions of your study.