Working with phasors (Circuits, such as complex power)

In summary: For phasors the exponential is implied, and we use the magnitude and phase angle for its shorthand notation.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am going over examples in my textbook and I came across this:
upload_2017-4-17_14-24-15.png

I don't understand how they converted 18.265 at angle of 39.9 to 14.02+j11.71

Homework Equations

I know how to convert from the imaginary numbers into the angle form, usually I use:
upload_2017-4-17_14-25-47.png

Is there another equation when going in the other direction, or do I use the same ones. I will have two equations and two unknowns, one with tan and one with the square root? It seems a bit complicated and I feel like I am missing out on something, but I can't find it on my formula sheet or in my notes so I am a bit confused. Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
It's akin to converting a vector in polar form to rectangular form. Use cos and sin to extract the real and imaginary component magnitudes.

gneill said:
It's akin to converting a vector in polar form to rectangular form. Use cos and sin to extract the real and imaginary component magnitudes.
I will use something like this
upload_2017-4-17_14-45-4.png

even if I don't have an exponential ?

gneill said:
Ok, Ok. I take the cos of the angle and multiply by the coefficient that becomes the real part, and then I take sin and multiply which is the imaginary part?

Cocoleia said:
I will use something like this
View attachment 195299
even if I don't have an exponential ?
Yes. For phasors the exponential is implied, and we use the magnitude and phase angle for its shorthand notation.

The full form of the phasor is ##P = A e^{j(ω t + Φ)}##. The "ωt" part represents the rotating motion of the phasor. Splitting it: ##P = A e^{jωt} e^{j Φ}##. When the angular frequency ω is the same for all phasors in a system we just drop the rotating component from the notation and take it as implied. That leaves ##A e^{j Φ}## as the unique part of the phasor, and that can be represented by a complex number (rectangular form) or magnitude and angle (polar form) in phasor "shorthand".
Cocoleia said:
Ok, Ok. I take the cos of the angle and multiply by the coefficient that becomes the real part, and then I take sin and multiply which is the imaginary part?
Yes.

Likes Cocoleia

Related to Working with phasors (Circuits, such as complex power)

1. What are phasors and how are they used in circuits?

Phasors are complex numbers that represent the magnitude and phase of an alternating current (AC) signal in a circuit. They are used to simplify the analysis of AC circuits by converting the time-domain signals into a single complex number in the frequency domain.

2. How do you convert between phasors and time-domain signals?

To convert from a time-domain signal to a phasor, you need to use the Fourier transform. This involves breaking down the signal into its individual frequency components and calculating the magnitude and phase of each component. To convert from a phasor to a time-domain signal, the inverse Fourier transform is used to combine the frequency components back into a time-domain signal.

3. What is the difference between real and reactive power in a phasor diagram?

Real power, also known as active power, is the portion of power in a circuit that is converted into useful work. It is represented by the horizontal component of a phasor diagram. Reactive power, on the other hand, is the portion of power that is stored and released in the circuit. It is represented by the vertical component of a phasor diagram.

4. How do you calculate the complex power in a circuit using phasors?

The complex power, or apparent power, in a circuit can be calculated by multiplying the voltage phasor by the conjugate of the current phasor. This will give you a complex number that represents the magnitude and phase of the power in the circuit.

5. Can phasors be used in both AC and DC circuits?

No, phasors are only used in AC circuits because they represent signals that vary in frequency. DC circuits, on the other hand, have a constant voltage and do not have frequency components. However, phasors can be used to analyze the steady-state behavior of an AC circuit with a DC component.