Work Done by Gravity on Box on Ice Arc - Radius 8m, Angle 14 Degrees

• Thread starter BlasterV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arc Ice
In summary, a perfect hemisphere of frictionless ice with a radius of 8 meters holds a motionless box with a mass of 10 kg. The box starts to slide down the sloping surface of the ice, moving at an angle of 14 degrees from the top. The work done by gravity on the box can be calculated using the formula W = Arc length * Gravitation force. The box also turns as it slides, so the formula for energy cannot be used to find its speed directly. However, the direction of motion is always downwards and follows the surface of the hemisphere.
BlasterV
A perfect hemisphere of frictionless ice has radius R = 8 meters. Sitting on the top of the ice, motionless, is a box of mass m = 10 kg.

The box starts to slide to the right, down the sloping surface of the ice. After it has moved by an angle 14 degrees from the top, how much work has gravity done on the box?

Ok I did W = Arc length * Gravitation force
W = ((14 / 360)2PI*8m )( 9.8 m/s^2 * 10 kg )

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks. I have attached a GIF

How fast is the box moving?
Once part one is right, this is easy, since W = 10kgV^2. The problem is finding part one.

Attachments

• ice_hemisphere.gif
    ice_hemisphere.gif
    2 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the definition of work?

[tex]W = \int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}[/tex]

Work is only done in the direction of motion, and gravity is not always acting in the direction of motion.

--J

That doesn't tell me much, how do I find force in the direction of motion then with a surface that is sloping like that?

Gravity always works in one direction: downwards.

Also, the box turns as it slides so you can't use the formula for energy to find the speed directly. Some of the box's energy goes into turning, not forward motion.

BlasterV said:
That doesn't tell me much, how do I find force in the direction of motion then with a surface that is sloping like that?

Of course you know the direction of motion! The box isn't magically going to fall through the hemisphere, nor is it going to magically going to fly off of it! It's going to follow the surface of the hemisphere exactly.

So at any given point on the hemisphere, which way is the box moving?

--J

BlasterV

Are you mentally challenged BlasterV?

Related to Work Done by Gravity on Box on Ice Arc - Radius 8m, Angle 14 Degrees

1. What is the formula for calculating the work done by gravity on a box on an ice arc?

The formula for calculating the work done by gravity on a box on an ice arc is W = mghcosθ, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the arc, and θ is the angle of the arc.

2. How do you determine the angle of the ice arc?

The angle of the ice arc can be determined by using the formula θ = sin^-1(r/h), where r is the radius of the arc and h is the height of the arc.

3. Can you explain the concept of work done by gravity on a box on an ice arc?

When a box is placed on an ice arc, gravity pulls it towards the center of the arc, causing it to move in a circular motion. This motion requires a force to be exerted, which results in work done by gravity. The work done is equal to the force of gravity multiplied by the distance the box moves along the arc, which is represented by the cosine of the angle of the arc.

4. How does the radius of the ice arc affect the work done by gravity on the box?

The radius of the ice arc directly affects the work done by gravity on the box. A larger radius will result in a smaller angle of the arc, which means the cosine of the angle will be larger. This results in a greater work done by gravity on the box. Conversely, a smaller radius will result in a larger angle and a smaller work done.

5. What is the unit of measurement for work done by gravity on a box on an ice arc?

The unit of measurement for work done by gravity is joules (J). This is a unit of energy derived from the metric system and is equivalent to the amount of work done when a force of one newton acts on an object to move it a distance of one meter in the direction of the force.