Need help on a work problem -- Pushing a shoe box up a ramp

In summary, when a constant force (Fa) of magnitude 82.0 N is applied to a 3.00 kg shoe box at an angle of 53.0 degrees, the box moves up a frictionless ramp at a constant speed. The work done by Fa when the box has moved through a vertical distance h = 0.150 m is -Wg.
BlackJ

Homework Statement

A constant force (Fa) of magnitude 82.0 N is applied to a 3.00 kg shoe box at an angle of 53.0 degrees, causing the box to move up a frictionless ramp at a constant speed. How much work is done on the box by Fa when the box has moved through a vertical distance h = 0.150 m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor gave a hint that v is constant => a=0, thus, the Wnet= Wg + Wn + Wa =0 (Wn=0)
I feel confused here. If so, work done by Fa will be equal to negative potential energy Wg, which is -mgh and the answer will be in negative?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
BlackJ said:
negative potential energy Wg, which is -mgh
If work done is -Wg and Wg=-mgh, what is the work done?

Isn't it the work from gravity force?

BlackJ said:
Isn't it the work from gravity force?
I do not understand your question.
You are asked for the work done by Fa. Call this Wa.
There is an awkwardness in the question. If the box started from rest then it must have accelerated at some stage, so we have to assume it was already moving at speed v when we consider the force first applied. This means there is no change in KE and the net work done on the box is zero.
Gravity does work Wg on the box. Wa+Wg=0.
Wg=-mgh.
So what is Wa?

Sorry I thought you ask what Wg is.
I understand why the net work done on the box is zero, just still confused how the right answer is in positive but not negative after solving the equation Wa+Wg=0
As I see here
Wa+Wg= 0
=> Wa= -Wg= -mgh
Isn't the answer in negative?

BlackJ said:
Wa= -Wg= -mgh
No, Wg =-mgh, so what is -Wg?

does that mean g= -9.8m/s^2 instead of 9.8 because gravity applied a force in opposite direction of force a?

BlackJ said:
does that mean g= -9.8m/s^2 instead of 9.8 because gravity applied a force in opposite direction of force a?
I was taking g to be +9.8m/s2, since that is how most people use 'g'.
(If you are defining up as positive for everything else, it would be more logical to say the weight is mg where g=-9.8m/s2, but hardly anyone does that so let's go with the usual style.)
So, g=9.8m/s2, weight is -mg (because weight force acts down) and if an object rises by distance h the work done on it by gravity is -mgh.
Since the net work done on the mass in this question is zero, we have Wa+(-mgh)=0.

Likes BlackJ
Argh I kept thinking -Wg already included the negative sign so I substitute mgh instead of -mgh
It's just clear now, thanks a lot.

Related to Need help on a work problem -- Pushing a shoe box up a ramp

1. How do I calculate the force needed to push a shoe box up a ramp?

The force needed to push a shoe box up a ramp can be calculated using the formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the ramp, and μ is the coefficient of friction between the box and the ramp.

2. What is the ideal angle for a ramp when pushing a shoe box?

The ideal angle for a ramp when pushing a shoe box depends on the coefficient of friction between the box and the ramp. Generally, a lower angle (closer to 0 degrees) will require less force to push the box, but may also increase the distance needed to travel. A higher angle (closer to 90 degrees) will require more force, but may decrease the distance needed to travel. It is important to find a balance between these two factors when determining the ideal angle for a ramp.

3. Will the weight of the shoe box affect the force needed to push it up a ramp?

Yes, the weight of the shoe box will affect the force needed to push it up a ramp. The heavier the box, the more force will be required to overcome its weight and move it up the ramp. This is why the mass of the box is included in the formula for calculating the force needed.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect pushing a shoe box up a ramp?

The coefficient of friction between the box and the ramp determines how much frictional force is acting against the box as it is being pushed up the ramp. A higher coefficient of friction will require more force to overcome this resistance, while a lower coefficient of friction will require less force. It is important to consider the coefficient of friction when determining the ideal angle for the ramp.

5. Can I use the same formula for pushing a shoe box down a ramp?

No, the formula for calculating the force needed to push a shoe box up a ramp is different from the formula for pushing it down a ramp. When pushing a box down a ramp, the force required will be less than when pushing it up a ramp, as gravity will be assisting in the movement. The formula for pushing a box down a ramp is F = mg(sinθ - μcosθ).