Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #3,991
Wordle 1 038 3/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,992
Wordle 1,038 2/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Quite the change from the previous game. Wordlebot says about 1 in 9 got it in 2.
Interestingly, the solution was not in my list of legitimate answers, though a cheat site listed it. Not only that, but Wordlebot says there were 4 more legitimate answers, while my database showed zero, and the cheat site only listed the 1. :nb)

• Wow
Likes Mister T
  • #3,993
Wordle 1,038 2/6

🟦🟦⬜🟦🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,994
OmCheeto said:
Quite the change from the previous game. Wordlebot says about 1 in 9 got it in 2.
Interestingly, the solution was not in my list of legitimate answers, though a cheat site listed it. Not only that, but Wordlebot says there were 4 more legitimate answers, while my database showed zero, and the cheat site only listed the 1. :nb)
Based on my standard first guess, I don't think I could have gotten it in 2 even if I would have tried (I also have a standard second guess, which I use unless the first is particularly informative).

However, this:
Orodruin said:
🟨🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
was effectively this:
🟨🟩🟨🟩🟩
so kind of hard to miss the third guess. :wink:

(And now people should be able to figure out my standard guesses ...)

• #3,996
Wordle 1,038 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,997
Wordle 1,038 3/6

🟦🟦🟦⬜🟦
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

OmCheeto said:
I see what you mean. My second guess was the only one in my database of about 2300 words and I was surprised when it wasn't correct. I then went to the extended database of 13,000 words and found a total of 4 words that match the pattern in my first entry.

Also, I will delay posting my process for solving yesterday's puzzle because I used the same seed word today. Knowledge of that might spoil it for others considering that it contains four of the five letters in today's word.

• #3,998
Orodruin said:
(And now people should be able to figure out my standard guesses ...)
From your patterns, I came up with 3 possible words for your first guess: SAUCY, SATIN, & SANDY, and 1 for your second guess: IDLER.

I currently have 14 seed words, so I think it would be nearly impossible to deduce any of them. Even with the 4 out of 5 letters from todays game, I can come up with 10 possible words.

• #3,999
OmCheeto said:
From your patterns, I came up with 3 possible words for your first guess: SAUCY, SATIN, & SANDY, and 1 for your second guess: IDLER.
The first is one of those three. The second is incorrect (it is not necessarily a possible solution).

Edit: Hint: After the two first guesses I have covered all vowels and a number of common consonants.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
  • #4,000
Wordle 1 039 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #4,001
Wordle 1,039 6/6

⬜🟦🟦⬜🟦
🟦⬜⬜🟧🟧
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

First time to not use hard mode to my advantage.

• #4,002
Wordle 1,039 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Getting this in 3 was mostly luck, as I had 7 words to choose from.
1 in 9 people did not solve the puzzle today.

• #4,003
Wordle 1,039 X/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›

Did not finish that one. Even after using 21 different letters after 5 words, I found out afterward that I still had 3 different possible solutions on my 6th guess.

• Wow
Likes Orodruin
  • #4,004
Wordle 1,039 5/6*

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Felt I could've done that better. But ah well. It succeeded.

• #4,005
Wordle 1,039 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #4,006
Wordle 1,039 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧
⬜🟧⬜⬜⬜
🟧⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

This was a "Phew" for me. Faced with 7 choices and 3 guesses left, I went for the certainty of 6 score rather than guessing. Anyway, here is how I did 1037 at @sbrothy's request. My pattern was
kuruman said:
Wordle 1,037 4/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟧⬜🟧🟧
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 12.48.01 PM.png
After the seed word, I looked at the frequency and distribution of letters in the 56 remaining candidates for the choice of the second word. In order to maximize hits, the idea is to find a word with high-frequency letters and L in a position other than 2. See spreadsheet table on the right. The top letter L was the single hit in word 1 and, fortunately, the next four can be used to form DOILY which was the second guess.
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 4.00.15 PM.png

Of the 56 candidates this left 5:
GOLLY, HOLLY, JOLLY, NOBLY, WOOLY

What I did next showcases @Orodruin's observation about the value of informational guesses. I have 4 guesses left and 5 words. I looked for a word that violates the hard mode rule but provides information on which candidates can be excluded from the list. I chose
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 4.00.40 PM.png

This was my burn word that guaranteed the answer in 4. It contains the first letter in 4 of the candidates. As it turned out, I got no hit which pointed to the only candidate that has none of the 5 letters in the burn word.
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 4.00.57 PM.png

This could not have been done in hard mode.

By the way,
  • If you're wondering what WHANG means, see here.
  • If you're wondering whether WHANG was part of my vocabulary, the answer is No. I had my spreadsheet search the list of almost 13,000 words for a word containing GHNW and, luckily, it found one.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, Mister T, OmCheeto and 2 others
  • #4,007
kuruman said:
  • [...] I had my spreadsheet search the list of almost 13,000 words for a word containing GHNW and, luckily, it found one.

So, you are cheating? :P

Nah, I'm joking, but I must say your devotion may not be that healthy. :)

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #4,008
sbrothy said:
So, you are cheating? :P

Nah, I'm joking, but I must say your devotion may not be that healthy. :)
Ha! Since Kuruman is being so honest, can you tell me how you came up with your second guess in that game? You were in hard mode and had 200 words to choose from, and miraculously chose the only one that would solve the puzzle in 4 guesses.
Are you a Wordle savant?

• #4,009
It was a pretty nonchalant guess. Since A, E and I had been eliminated I was trying to eliminate more vocals and O and U seemed obvious choices. I chose DOUGH mostly because it was the first word I could think of with those 2 vocals and consisting of all different letters.

I don't consult any lists and I don't keep track of which words are already used, so yes: nonchalant, not savant. :)

Likes OmCheeto
  • #4,010
sbrothy said:
It was a pretty nonchalant guess. Since A, E and I had been eliminated I was trying to eliminate more vocals and O and U seemed obvious choices. I chose DOUGH mostly because it was the first word I could think of with those 2 vocals and consisting of all different letters.

I don't consult any lists and I don't keep track of which words are already used, so yes: nonchalant, not savant. :)
That makes sense. By that logic you only had 26 words to choose from.
Still though, a stunning amount of luck there.
Where would you have ended up if you'd chosen 'LOUSY' as your second word? :biggrin:

• Haha
Likes sbrothy
  • #4,011
OmCheeto said:
That makes sense. By that logic you only had 26 words to choose from.
Still though, a stunning amount of luck there.
Where would you have ended up if you'd chosen 'LOUSY' as your second word? :biggrin:

Hah yeah. That would've been lousy indeed. :)

Or wait... would it? I would have discovered an L sooner and the O would still have been correctly placed... I dunno. As I said my MO is "meandering chaos". :P

And yes. Luck. Then again I need a little luck to be able to compete as English is only my second language.

• #4,012
Wordle 1 040 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I changed my double seed words today. have to mix it up after a year
1713932728831.png

• #4,013
Wordle 1,040 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #4,014
Wordle 1,040 4/6

⬜🟦🟦⬜🟦
⬜🟦⬜🟦🟦
🟦🟦⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #4,016
Wordle 1,040 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦🟦
⬜⬜🟦⬜🟦
🟧⬜⬜🟦🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #4,017
Wordle 1,040 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #4,018
Wordle 1,040 4/6*

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

OK. That was a new height (or rather low) of random guesses and missing tactics. Got the job done though. Go figure.

• #4,019
  • Wow
Likes Mister T and jack action
  • #4,020
Wordle 1,041 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #4,022
Wordle 1,041 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
⬜⬜🟦🟦🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #4,023
Wordle 1,041 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I call foul, that's not a real word.

Likes Mister T
  • #4,024
Wordle 1,041 4/6

⬜🟦🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟦⬜🟧⬜
🟦⬜⬜⬜🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #4,025
gmax137 said:
Wordle 1,041 4/6
I had to look it up. It actually is a word. It's an element of song structure.