Wind turbine to charge 12V batteries

In summary: Unless you have a very high wind speed, the wind generator won't produce much power. A cheaper alternative might be to use a solar panel and a battery to store the energy.
MAGGIE55
I have a mws freedom pmg 12 volt 1600 watt PMG with falcon mach 3 blades. Live in city so turbine is only 12ft off ground. Don't get good wind. Can I use a 24 volt pmg to charge my 12 volt battery bank? Have charge controller that can handle high voltage and will dump at 14.5 volts. Also have 600 watt 10.8-30 volt GTI and 1000 watt 22-60 volt GTI. If I make to much power I could divert power to batteries and GTI's at same time. Will this work ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What voltage will the charge controller operate down to? Is the charge controller dropping out a lot of the time because the voltage from the 12V pmg is too low?

Independent of the voltage question, most wind generators don't make much power until the wind is 15 knots or more. Before investing a lot of money, you should ask yourself, "Do I have enough wind to make this pay?"

CWatters said:
What voltage will the charge controller operate down to? Is the charge controller dropping out a lot of the time because the voltage from the 12V pmg is too low?
Here is the kind of controller I have High amp rating: 440 amps, 10,000 watts.
s-l140.jpg

anorlunda said:
Independent of the voltage question, most wind generators don't make much power until the wind is 15 knots or more. Before investing a lot of money, you should ask yourself, "Do I have enough wind to make this pay?"
Most of time wind is Not over 12 mph until we have thunder storm. On average only 11 volts coming from 12 volt turbine. Have seen 22 volts in 50 mph gust but only for short time.

MAGGIE55 said:
Most of time wind is Not over 12 mph

That's too bad. In that case, I'm afraid you are wasting your time and money.

There doesn't seem to be much tech data available on the charge controller here...

http://store.mwands.com/combination-wind-solar-hybrid-charge-controllers/12-volt-wind-and-solar-charge-controller-w/led-display-1200-watt-divert-load/

It looks like it will only charge a 12v battery if the input voltage is in a narrow range. So I don't think switching to a 24v generator will work. I suspect you would need a more advanced charge controller that has a dc-dc converter in it that will charge a 12v battery from a wider range of input voltages including less than 12v.

I'm inclined to agree with anorlunda that you might be wasting money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Wind turbine to charge 12V batteries

1. How does a wind turbine charge 12V batteries?

A wind turbine is equipped with a rotor that has blades attached to it. When the wind blows, it causes the blades to rotate, which then turns a shaft connected to a generator. The generator converts the kinetic energy from the wind into electrical energy, which is then stored in the 12V batteries.

2. What size wind turbine do I need to charge 12V batteries?

The size of the wind turbine needed to charge 12V batteries depends on various factors such as the average wind speed in your area, the capacity of the batteries, and the amount of energy required to charge them. Generally, a small wind turbine with a rotor diameter of 1.5-3 meters is sufficient for charging 12V batteries.

3. Can a wind turbine charge multiple 12V batteries at once?

Yes, a wind turbine can charge multiple 12V batteries at once. However, the number of batteries that can be charged simultaneously depends on the capacity of the wind turbine and the batteries. It is important to ensure that the total capacity of the batteries does not exceed the maximum output of the wind turbine.

4. How long does it take for a wind turbine to charge 12V batteries?

The time it takes for a wind turbine to charge 12V batteries varies depending on the wind speed, the size of the wind turbine, and the capacity of the batteries. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours to fully charge a 12V battery with a small wind turbine.

5. Can I use a wind turbine to charge 12V batteries in all weather conditions?

While wind turbines can generate electricity in a wide range of wind speeds, they may not be as effective in extreme weather conditions such as very high winds or heavy rain. It is important to regularly maintain the wind turbine and ensure it is properly protected from harsh weather to maximize its charging capabilities.