Making a wind turbine, how to stop it overcharging battery?

In summary: Code=as2In summary, the author plans to make a 12v-battery trickle charger wind turbine that will be connected to their jetski to keep it topped off during winter. They will use a 24v motor and a bicylce wheel to create the "blades". If the battery gets to 100% capacity, the author plans to put a Zener Diode in the circuit to stop the charging. If the voltage is sent back to the motor, it will try to turn it in the opposite direction effectively "braking" the motor. If the voltage is sent back to the battery, it will just try and turn it in the opposite direction.
beany_bot
Hi, I plan to make a simple 12v-battery trickle charger wind turbine that I will put on the roof of my garage and connect to my jetski to keep it topped off during winter when my solar panel is performing poorly.

I have a 24v Motor I will use and will use a bicylce wheel for the "blades". I was wondering, on the off chance that my battery gets to 100% capacity. How do I stop the charging?
I thought about putting a Zener Diode in the circuit so that it would sent the voltage back to the motor but this raised two questions.

The fan may be making anywhere up to 20v I estimate (depending on wind) but very low amps. Not a problem for the battery but this would surely trip the Zener diode by itself? OR will the zener only detect/trip with voltage coming back the otherway? i.e. voltage from the battery.

Also what will happen if the voltage is sent back to the motor? Will it just try and turn it in the opposite direction? effectively "braking" the motor? Will that energy just be lost as heat?

Sorry for the perhaps silly questions but I have very little knowledge about these things. Just thinking on the fly here.

P.S. I do use the JetSki in winter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A charge current of 2 amps or less is considered a trickle charge. You can leave it on forever without overcharging your lead acid battery. It is lead acid, Correct?

Yes, lead acid. I would be surprised if the setup would make more than 2 amps. Its quite a small battery though. 18Ah

If you want total safety, buy a cheap charge controller. Here is MPPT controller for $2.32 plus shipping. Real cheap :woot:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX6WVFU/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Making a wind turbine, how to stop it overcharging battery?

1. How does a wind turbine generate electricity?

A wind turbine uses the force of the wind to rotate its blades, which are connected to a rotor. This rotor then spins a shaft inside a generator, which converts the rotational energy into electricity.

2. What is the purpose of a battery in a wind turbine?

A battery is used to store the electricity generated by the wind turbine. This allows for a steady and reliable power supply, even when there is no wind or during peak demand times.

3. How can I prevent my wind turbine from overcharging the battery?

To prevent overcharging, a charge controller is typically used in the wind turbine system. This device regulates the amount of electricity sent to the battery, ensuring that it does not exceed its capacity.

4. What are some common causes of overcharging in wind turbine batteries?

Overcharging can occur if the wind turbine is producing more electricity than the battery can handle, if the charge controller is not functioning properly, or if the battery is not sized correctly for the system.

5. Are there any maintenance tasks I should perform to prevent overcharging in my wind turbine battery?

Regular maintenance, such as checking the charge controller and battery capacity, can help prevent overcharging. It is also important to properly size the battery for the system and monitor its performance to ensure it is not being overworked.