Will upgrading to a 600watt motor solve my electric bike's overheating issue?

• Thread starter needhelp194
  • Start date
In summary, the motor can handle 540 watts, but it will overheat if it is running at 540 watts and has a 500 watt battery.
needhelp194
i have read in some places that the max recommended temp of a brushed motor is 150-160f (correct me if I'm wrong)

My electric bike has a 540 watt battery with a 500 watt motor and it gets to 147f when i rode it 3 miles. I thought this is a bit close to 150f so i was wondering if i could buy a 600watt motor to replace my 500watt one and my neighbor said that it might still overheat because 540watts is less than 600watts. It doesn't seem right by common sense but I'm a 9th grader so I can't be sure. So will a 600watt motor still overheat with 540watts going through it? (the battery and the motor are both 36v)

Engineering news on Phys.org
needhelp194 said:
i have read in some places that the max recommended temp of a brushed motor is 150-160f (correct me if I'm wrong)

My electric bike has a 540 watt battery with a 500 watt motor and it gets to 147f when i rode it 3 miles. I thought this is a bit close to 150f so i was wondering if i could buy a 600watt motor to replace my 500watt one and my neighbor said that it might still overheat because 540watts is less than 600watts. It doesn't seem right by common sense but I'm a 9th grader so I can't be sure. So will a 600watt motor still overheat with 540watts going through it? (the battery and the motor are both 36v)

Welcome to the PF.

There is no such thing as a "540 watt battery". Is this a production electric bike, or something that you custom built?

the bike is custom built
the battery is 36v 15amps and i think it is 10ah

needhelp194 said:

That will depend entirely on the make and the model of the motor which you have told us nothing about
do you have a link to the motor spec's ? ( tho 150 deg F sounds quite high)

needhelp194 said:
so i was wondering if i could buy a 600watt motor to replace my 500watt one and my neighbor said that it might still overheat because 540watts is less than 600watts. It doesn't seem right by common sense but I'm a 9th grader so I can't be sure. So will a 600watt motor still overheat with 540watts going through it? (the battery and the motor are both 36v)

it doesn't work that way ... the motor will draw a certain amount of current depending on how much load it had ( that is weight (mass) of bike/rider, if its going uphill downhill, flat ground etc etc)

when starting off from a standing position, the motor will draw high current, once up to a steady cruising speed ( whatever that may be) the current drain from the motor will drop.
so for example
at moving off it mite be briefly drawing 20A @ 36V = 720W till its settles down for cruise speed and the next variation in speed or load
at cruising speed it may be drawing 10A @ 36V = 360W

A lot of guesses here without knowing the specifics of the motor etc

my other suggestion is that the motor cannot handle the load and that is why it is overheating
consider how you mite lessen the load aka stress on the motor so that it isn't working so hardDave

Perhaps lower gearing and a lower running speed would solve the problem.

davenn said:
it doesn't work that way ... the motor will draw a certain amount of current depending on how much load it had ( that is weight (mass) of bike/rider, if its going uphill downhill, flat ground etc etc)

when starting off from a standing position, the motor will draw high current, once up to a steady cruising speed ( whatever that may be) the current drain from the motor will drop.
so for example
at moving off it mite be briefly drawing 20A @ 36V = 720W till its settles down for cruise speed and the next variation in speed or load
at cruising speed it may be drawing 10A @ 36V = 360W

A lot of guesses here without knowing the specifics of the motor etc

my other suggestion is that the motor cannot handle the load and that is why it is overheating
consider how you mite lessen the load aka stress on the motor so that it isn't working so hardDave

here is a link to my motor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4ZBDIU/?tag=pfamazon01-20

how can i lower the watts of my battery to solve the overheating?

it would be better to be at 13.8 though (i think)

needhelp194 said:
how can i lower the watts of my battery to solve the overheating?

That is not your problem. And your battery does not "have watts".

You are stressing the small motor too much, or it would not be overheating. Either take it easier on the motor (slower, lower gearing as already suggested), or add fins to it to help cool it when you are riding the bike, or get a bigger electric motor that is sized for the load you are placing on it.

Likes davenn
berkeman said:
or get a bigger electric motor that is sized for the load you are placing on it.
so if i get a 600watt motor will that fix the problem?

needhelp194 said:
so if i get a 600watt motor will that fix the problem?

Switching from a 500W motor to a 600W motor will not make a significant difference. Doubling the size of the motor would help a lot more. What motors are typically used on motorized bicycles?

Should also consider cooling, is there proper airflow going towards the motor?

You might find that in some states a bicycle fitted with a motor rated at more than X watts will be classifed as a motor vehicle, and as such require that it be registered and be ridden by a motor-vehicle-licence-holder. It would be worth checking whether this applies where you live.

thank you guys so much! i figured out it was a brake problem

Likes berkeman

Related to Will upgrading to a 600watt motor solve my electric bike's overheating issue?

1. What causes an overheating problem?

The most common cause of an overheating problem is an issue with the cooling system. This could be due to a malfunctioning radiator, water pump, or thermostat. Other possible causes include low coolant levels, a faulty fan, or a clogged air filter.

2. How can I tell if my car is overheating?

The most obvious sign of an overheating car is a temperature gauge that is in the red zone. You may also notice steam coming from the engine or a burning smell. In some cases, your car may start to shake or make unusual noises.

3. What can I do to prevent overheating?

Regular maintenance is key to preventing an overheating problem. Make sure to get your car's cooling system checked and serviced regularly, and keep an eye on your coolant levels. It's also important to avoid driving in high temperatures or overloading your vehicle.

4. Can an overheating problem cause damage to my car?

Yes, an overheating problem can cause serious damage to your car if left untreated. It can lead to engine failure, warped cylinder heads, and other costly repairs. It's important to address an overheating issue as soon as possible to avoid further damage.

5. What should I do if my car is overheating?

If you notice your car overheating, the first thing you should do is safely pull over and turn off the engine. It's important to let the car cool down before attempting to open the hood or add coolant. If the problem persists, it's best to have your car towed to a mechanic for further inspection.