How to size a generator needed for an electric motor

In summary: The 6,000 watt motor is simply too much for a small generator to handle, so I am looking for a way to make the generator work."In summary, a foreigner plans to buy an electric bicycle in a couple of months and wants to install a motor that has a max rating of 6,000 watts, a small, lightweight gasoline engine to connect to another motor, and a rotary motor. This bike would be a tri-brid, being able to pedal it, use the battery/motor combination or use the generator/motor combination.
pengyou
I will buy an electric bicycle in a couple of months and want to modify it. I will install a motor that has a max rating of 6,000 watts - common use is about 3k watts. I am also looking for a small, lightweight gasoline engine to connect to another motor - to make a small generator - so that I can use the generator to charge the batteries when they are low, or simply to power the electric motor on the ebike. You can think of this bike as being a tri-brid, being able to pedal it, use the battery/motor combination or use the generator/motor combination. The motor I will use on the bike was designed to be used in r/c aircraft and is often used now in ebikes. In the ebike it turns at about 4,800 rpms at 48v. I saw a gasoline powered 35cc 4 stroke motor that put out 1.4 hp at about 8,000 rpms. It weighs about 9 pounds. I would love to find a small rotary motor, weighing about 5 pounds :)

I would like to be able to find a gasoline engine + electric motor combination to make this generator so that

electricity produced by gasoline engine + electric motor = (1.1 or 1.2) times the electricity needed for the motor on my ebike.

Can someone point me to the equations and principles I would need? also any advice that you might have?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, in a way it wasteful but I am doing it to stay legal with the local laws. In Shanghai, it is almost impossible for a foreigner to get a license plate for a motor driven vehicle. If I made a hybrid ala prius I would simply use the gas engine to turn the wheels at times, but then it becomes a "motor drive cycle" and cannot legally be licensed and used on the streets. With my idea, the bike is always either an electric motor driven cycle or a pedal driven cycle so I am within the law.

Last edited:

Related to How to size a generator needed for an electric motor

1. What factors should I consider when sizing a generator for an electric motor?

When sizing a generator for an electric motor, you should consider the power requirements of the motor, the starting current and voltage, the type of motor, and the efficiency of the motor. These factors will help determine the appropriate size and capacity of the generator needed to power the motor.

2. How do I calculate the power requirements for the electric motor?

The power requirements for an electric motor can be calculated by multiplying the motor's voltage by its current. This will give you the motor's wattage, which is the amount of power it requires to operate. Make sure to check the motor's specifications for the correct voltage and current ratings.

3. What is starting current and why is it important to consider?

Starting current is the initial surge of current that an electric motor requires to start and get up to its operating speed. This current can be significantly higher than the motor's normal operating current. It is important to consider because the generator must be able to supply this starting current in addition to the motor's normal operating current.

4. Can I use a generator with a lower capacity than the motor's power requirements?

No, it is not recommended to use a generator with a lower capacity than the motor's power requirements. This could result in the generator being overloaded and potentially damaging both the generator and the motor. It is important to choose a generator with enough capacity to meet the motor's power demands.

5. Is it better to oversize or undersize the generator for the electric motor?

It is generally better to oversize the generator for the electric motor. This ensures that the generator will have enough capacity to handle the motor's power demands, as well as any potential increases in power requirements in the future. Undersizing the generator can result in overloading and potential damage to the equipment.