Wigner's Friend and algorithmic information

In summary, QM is a really hard subject to write accessible stories about in detail, Greg Egan is possibly the best known author who tries, and many of his novels contain impenetrable sequences that I'm sure make sense to those in the know, but outside of that...well, reviews of his books tell the story.Microsoft released a free shorts collection that included an interesting QM story by Greg Bear, The Machine Starts. I found that you have to pay attention to visualize what's going on, and while it is MWI-based, it conveys the complexity of delivering a QM themed narrative to the lay reader.
sayetsu
I'm working on a novel involving QM ideas. What I'm most excited about is the prospect of taking a view on Markus Muller's propositions involving reality and algorithmic information theory. I'm trying to make it work with the Wigner's Friend thought experiment. Are there any ideas on how subjective realities could interact, or is solipsism our best guess? :O

Physics news on Phys.org
QM is a really hard subject to write accessible stories about in detail, @sayetsu. Greg Egan is possibly the best known author who tries, and many of his novels contain impenetrable sequences that I'm sure make sense to those in the know, but outside of that...well, reviews of his books tell the story.

Likewise, Mobius Dick by Andrew Crumey, which explores 'what is reality' and which left readers generally polarized, with one review titled, "Was this even a book" (while giving it 3-stars, go figure!).

Microsoft released a free shorts collection that included an interesting QM story by Greg Bear, The Machine Starts. I found that you have to pay attention to visualize what's going on, and while it is MWI-based, it conveys the complexity of delivering a QM themed narrative to the lay reader.

sayetsu said:
Are there any ideas on how subjective realities could interact, or is solipsism our best guess?

What is your story intended to say? It is hard to provide advice without some indication of your intent, because this could literally take you anywhere. For example, I am convinced that English magician Steven Frayne, better known as Dynamo, has access to the QM realm, and his 'magic' is mere manipulation of other threads of reality, where he drags the outcome into our view, such that "Voila", something impossible happens. There is no other explanation, surely :wink:

Being serious, once you have the premise of your narrative, answers to how you treat aspects such as solipsism should fall out naturally.

My impression from what I've read is that observers play a key role in the establishment of events in reality. Whether these events happen in something like spacetime, matter, and energy, I'm unsure. Reading between tthe lines of Muller's paper, I think it's plausible that the former aspects of "reality" are an illusion created by our consciousnesses to make sense of the informational input they receive as reality unfolds through their participation. I'm going stream-of-consciousness here; it's still mushy in my head. That's why I'm looking for more to learn.

You should definitely read Quarantine by Greg Egan. You may find the book you want to write already exists.

Likes member 656954
Oh, great. D: Thanks, though.

Ryan_m_b said:
You should definitely read Quarantine by Greg Egan.

And if you understand it, @sayetsu, can you explain it to me :-p (That's only semi silly, I've read Quarantine three times and the nuances still elude me!)

Related to Wigner's Friend and algorithmic information

What is Wigner's Friend?

Wigner's Friend is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Eugene Wigner to explore the concept of observer-dependent reality in quantum mechanics.

What is algorithmic information?

Algorithmic information, also known as Kolmogorov complexity, is a measure of the amount of information contained in an object or data set. It is based on the idea that the more compressible a piece of information is, the less complex it is.

How are Wigner's Friend and algorithmic information related?

Wigner's Friend thought experiment involves a scenario where a scientist (Wigner) observes a quantum system and his friend (the Friend) observes the scientist. The concept of algorithmic information is used to analyze the complexity of the information each observer has, and how it changes as the system is observed.

What is the significance of Wigner's Friend and algorithmic information in quantum mechanics?

Wigner's Friend and algorithmic information provide insight into the observer-dependent nature of reality in quantum mechanics. They also demonstrate the limitations of our understanding of the universe and the role of the observer in shaping reality.

Are there any real-world applications of Wigner's Friend and algorithmic information?

While Wigner's Friend and algorithmic information are primarily thought experiments used to explore concepts in quantum mechanics, they have also been applied in fields such as computer science, information theory, and artificial intelligence.