Why is PF Slow? Reasons & Maintenance Info

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
In summary, the response rate for the PF forums is very slow. Some sort of maintenance is going on, and it's causing a lot of double posting.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
A lot of the times I access the PF forums, the response rate is very slow. Is there just a lot of activity, or is some type of maintenance going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
I notice this happening more and more. Yesterday was excruciatingly slow much of the day.

And it is also quite slow now.

It just got over it's slow bit now

It's been causing a lot of double posting.

Evo said:
It's been causing a lot of double posting.
It's been causing a lot of my walking away from PF to get some real work done.

I knew this would happen when we lost the old skin.

FredGarvin said:
I knew this would happen when we lost the old skin.

It's got nothing to do with the skin.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Do we know what the problem is?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I had to take one, last parting shot for the old ways.

Hootenanny said:

the database is getting bigger evey day?

Pythagorean said:
the database is getting bigger evey day?
Perhaps time for a clean out? Or even a hardware upgrade? - But this would mean down time for PF, which would bring back my withdrawal symptoms...:cry:

Hootenanny said:

yes I know what the problem is, it's pretty serious, once I can resolve it I'll let it be known

Greg Bernhardt said:
yes I know what the problem is, it's pretty serious, once I can resolve it I'll let it be known
:cry: That sounds...pretty serious. :rolleyes:

Gokul43201 said:
It's been causing a lot of my walking away from PF to get some real work done.
True 'dat. :cool:

I thought it might have something to do with the fact that my hard drive is failing.* Lots of operations are slow for me now and my browser quits often. I hope your hard drive is alright, since it must get constant activity.

*No jokes, please. :shy:

I know Greg's trying to fix some problems, so this may just be related to what he's doing, but in case it isn't, or it's endemic to me...

I've been having all kinds of weird connectivity problems over the last day or two. Sometimes it says "database error" and some other times (like until a couple minutes ago) I see a different kind of error.

Just letting you know, Greg, in case it's not something you're aware of.

I'm not even getting errors, it just slows to a crawl, and then stops and refuses to load. :frown: :cry: It's Sunday! I don't want to do work today and PF won't let me play.

Gokul43201 said:
I know Greg's trying to fix some problems, so this may just be related to what he's doing, but in case it isn't, or it's endemic to me...

I've been having all kinds of weird connectivity problems over the last day or two. Sometimes it says "database error" and some other times (like until a couple minutes ago) I see a different kind of error.

Just letting you know, Greg, in case it's not something you're aware of.

You mentioned that you thought you'd had a post or two disappear in the "Warbird" thread; didn't witness any of that, however, couple days ago you posted to "Chemistry" on the 12C mass defect/binding energy question --- it ain't there no mo'. Did you delete it? Or did it pull a "trick" on you?

Bystander said:
You mentioned that you thought you'd had a post or two disappear in the "Warbird" thread; didn't witness any of that, however, couple days ago you posted to "Chemistry" on the 12C mass defect/binding energy question --- it ain't there no mo'. Did you delete it? Or did it pull a "trick" on you?
That one, I deleted. I had had that thread open and intended to respond to it, but had to run away. I came back and replied an hour later without first refreshing. After I posted, I saw it was redundant and first edited then deleted it.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Is it dormice nesting in the GD server? I hear they're attracted to cheese.

Is it dormice nesting in the GD server? I hear they're attracted to cheese.[/quote
who wouldn't be

i used to live in a server

it took me ten whole minutes to arive at this thread

Dear me! I'm too impatient and PF is really slow sometimes that I just want to shout...:cry:

Dunno how much help user descriptions of "unusual behaviors" is going to be, but --- just posted to "Gen. Eng." on "Car A/C," and after hitting "Submit Reply," everything "hung up" at about 40-50% "completion of task." Save the reply, close the window, and log back on, and the post had gone through correctly. Gonna check after this "reply" to see if it's still there.

Edit: had to play the same game here --- same result --- now, will it take the "edit" without hanging?

Edit(2): yes.

Last edited:
Am I the only one without these problems? PF seems fine...

yomamma said:
Am I the only one without these problems? PF seems fine...

time of day thing, maybe?

Maybe he's the one breaking PF...works fine until he's done here. :smile:

Rach3 said:
Is it dormice nesting in the GD server? I hear they're attracted to cheese.

I thought they were addicted to treacle. That stuff would really gum up a hard disk if it got in.

I've always found PF to be very slow when I'm on. Maybe my time zone. But even though there is a lot of people on, or like 50 people viewing the very same forum I posted in, I still get very slow response times. Not that it matters though, because I usually post a few things then don't check till the next day. But it is nice to have fast responses.

Seems like a DB write problem, I've notice, when too many people are trying to post on the same thread, or even on same section it almost hangs ..

Anttech said:
Seems like a DB write problem, I've notice, when too many people are trying to post on the same thread, or even on same section it almost hangs ..

Yeah but when someone says something monumentally dumb as occasionaly happens even on a forum of the reasonably well educated, it's not like people use wolfpack tactics, it's more like the circling pirhana attack with a ferocity reserved usually for dying or sick herbivores.:smile:

I've noticed this at work, oddly enough it gets worse at lunchtime 12pm GMT onwards, which is consistent with the overload theory I supose. That said it's fine at home but then my connection speed and computer processing power are infinitely better at home as well, I would assume that'll make a small difference too.

The performance problem should be solved now. The email issues some of you have experienced should also be solved.

- Warren

i was quite suprised, i came on today thinking that it would take me an age to get anywhere, (i have 32k) but, oh, to my suprise- it works fine. yay

Glad to hear it, star.torturer.

- Warren