Why do I have such trouble with Engineering reading assignments?

In summary, the conversation discusses an engineering student struggling to understand material in a logic design class, specifically digital circuits. Suggestions are given, such as finding a tutor or working on example problems while taking notes, to better comprehend the material. General advice is also given to slow down and engage more with the content, possibly by drawing or working out example problems. The conversation ends with a question about understanding the differences between analog and digital circuits and the importance of hard work in understanding difficult subjects.
royzizzle
I'm a third year engineering student and recently I've been unable to complete any of my reading assignments for a logic design class.

Mainly this is because I simply can't understand the material I am reading. After I read a paragraph, it's almost like I never read anything because I am unable to paraphrase what I have just read.

Does anyone have tips on how to understand digital circuits?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding a tutor (or a strong student) to explain the concepts to you?

Are there example problems or homework problems you can work as you read... possibly even programming these out on matlab/mathematica/maple?

Also: as you read, you can take notes on important components as they are introduced, noting the inputs/output from the components... maybe making up a chart/table with the name of the component, the symbol, and the input/output results.

I find doing something tactile (suc as taking notes or working problems) when reading something important helps solidify the material.

I'm not familiar with digital circuits, but I feel some general advice might help.

It may be that you just need to slow down. Reading technical information is not to be done in the same manner as one would read literature. You need to take your time and concentrate on what it is that you're reading.

This is especially the case with subjects/topics that make use of mathematics. It is not unusual to have to read something multiple times in order to understand what is being said! As physics girl phd suggested, get out a pencil and a piece of paper and start engaging a bit more. Draw/chart (if applicable) what you're reading. If you encounter example problems in the text, don't just read through them; work them out!

Last edited:
royzizzle said:
Does anyone have tips on how to understand digital circuits?

What in particular about digital circuits is eluding you? Do you understand analog circuits? If you do, do you understand why they're fundamentally different?

Hard work mate, hard work. http://bayarearoster.com/js/includes/34/b/happy.gif

Related to Why do I have such trouble with Engineering reading assignments?

1. Why do engineering reading assignments seem more difficult than other subjects?

Engineering reading assignments often require a high level of technical understanding and may involve complex concepts and calculations. This can make them seem more difficult than other subjects that rely more on memorization or basic comprehension.

2. Is there a specific method or approach I should use when tackling engineering reading assignments?

It can be helpful to break down engineering reading assignments into smaller sections and focus on understanding one concept at a time. You may also want to take notes, create diagrams or charts, and ask questions to clarify any confusing points.

3. How can I improve my comprehension of technical engineering terms and jargon?

One effective way to improve comprehension of technical terms is to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing using the terms in context, looking up unfamiliar words in a dictionary or online, and seeking clarification from professors or peers.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular engineering reading assignment?

If you are struggling with a particular assignment, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. This could mean attending office hours, reaching out to classmates for a study group, or seeking tutoring services.

5. Are there any resources or strategies that can help me with engineering reading assignments?

Yes, there are many resources and strategies that can help with engineering reading assignments. These can include textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and practice problems. It is also helpful to develop good time management skills and to prioritize understanding the material over simply completing the assignment.