Why can we always choose energy eigenstates to be purely real function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy eigenstates and their relationship to the physical wavefunction in quantum mechanics. The question asks why energy eigenstates can always be chosen to be purely real functions, unlike the physical wavefunction which can have complex components due to its momentum operator. The answer is that any wavefunction can be represented as a linear combination of eigenstates, and the basis can be adjusted to have either real or imaginary valued functions without any physical significance.
Irishdoug
Homework Statement
Why can we always choose energy eigenstates to be purely real functions (unlike the physical wavefunction ##\psi##(x,t)?

This question is taken from an assignment on MIT's opencourses (Q2a).

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/assignments/MIT8_04S13_ps4.pdf
Relevant Equations
N/A
I couldn't quite answer, so looked at the solution. I just want to ensure I am undertsanding the answer correctly. The answer is given here on page 3. Q2a:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...pring-2013/assignments/MIT8_04S13_ps4_sol.pdf

Am I right in concluding that the reason energy eigenstates can be taken to be purely real is because the energy operator is purely real? And with the physical wavefunction this is not possible due to it having a momentum and as such a momentum operator that has a complex form?

Thankyou for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Irishdoug said:
Homework Statement:: Why can we always choose energy eigenstates to be purely real functions (unlike the physical wavefunction **\psi**(x,t)?

This question is taken from an assignment on MIT's opencourses (Q2a).

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...-i-spring-2013/assignments/MIT8_04S13_ps4.pdf
Homework Equations:: N/A

I couldn't quite answer, so looked at the solution. I just want to ensure I am undertsanding the answer correctly. The answer is given here on page 3. Q2a:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...pring-2013/assignments/MIT8_04S13_ps4_sol.pdf

Am I right in concluding that the reason energy eigenstates can be taken to be purely real is because the energy operator is purely real? And with the physical wavefunction this is not possible due to it having a momentum and as such a momentum operator that has a complex form?

Thankyou for your help!
The eigenstates form a basis. And any wavefunction is some complex linear combination of eigenstates. If you find a basis with complex functions you can simply rejig the basis functions so that your basis has real valued functions.

You could also rejig things so the basis functions are purely imaginary valued.

This has no physical significance.

Likes Irishdoug
PS it only relies on the linearity of the Schrodinger equation and can be done for any Hermitian operator.

Likes Irishdoug

Related to Why can we always choose energy eigenstates to be purely real function

1. Why can energy eigenstates be expressed as purely real functions?

Energy eigenstates are solutions to the Schrodinger equation, which is a real-valued differential equation. This means that the solutions must also be real-valued. Therefore, energy eigenstates are expressed as purely real functions.

2. What is the significance of energy eigenstates being purely real functions?

The fact that energy eigenstates are purely real functions allows us to easily solve the Schrodinger equation and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. It also helps in simplifying calculations and understanding the physical properties of the system.

3. How does the principle of superposition apply to energy eigenstates being purely real functions?

The principle of superposition states that any two or more solutions to the Schrodinger equation can be added together to create another valid solution. Since energy eigenstates are real-valued, they can be added together without any complex numbers involved, making calculations much simpler.

4. Can energy eigenstates ever be complex-valued?

No, energy eigenstates are always expressed as purely real functions. If a solution to the Schrodinger equation is found to be complex, it can be expressed as a linear combination of real-valued energy eigenstates.

5. How do energy eigenstates relate to the energy spectrum of a system?

The energy eigenstates of a quantum system correspond to the allowed energy levels of that system. Each energy eigenstate has a specific energy value associated with it, and the energy spectrum of a system is made up of all the possible energy eigenstates that the system can have.