If ##V(x)## is an even function then the energy eigenfunc....

In summary, if the potential function ##V(x)## is even, then the energy eigenfunctions ##\phi_E(x)## can be either even or odd. This can be shown by defining the odd and even wave functions as ##\psi_{odd}(x)\equiv\frac{\phi_E(x)-\phi_E(-x)}{2}## and ##\psi_{even}(x)\equiv\frac{\phi_E(x)+\phi_E(-x)}{2}##. By adding and subtracting the equations for the even and odd wave functions, it can be shown that (1)+(2) is an even function and (1)-(2) is an odd function, proving that the energy eigenfunctions can be
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

If ##V(x)## is an even function [i.e. ##V(-x)=V(x)##], then the energy eigenfunctions ##\phi_E(x)## can always be taken to be either even or odd. i.e. show ##\psi_{odd}(x)\equiv\frac{\phi_E(x)-\phi_E(-x)}{2}## and ##\psi_{even}(x)\equiv\frac{\phi_E(x)+\phi_E(-x)}{2}##. The question is from Here

Homework Equations

##[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+V(x)]\phi_E(x)=E\phi_E(x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

The even wave function can be described by
$$
[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+V(x)]\phi_E(x)=E\phi_E(x)-----(1)
$$
And the odd wave function can be described by
$$
[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial (-x)^2}+V(-x)]\phi_E(-x)=E\phi_E(-x)=[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+V(x)]\phi_E(-x)=E\phi_E(-x)---(2)$$

Now adding (1) & (2) I obtain
$$
[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+V(x)][\phi_E(x)+\phi_E(-x)]=E[\phi_E(x)+\phi_E(-x)]
$$

Unfortunately I can't seem to see where to go from here. Also what exactly is the difference between the energy eigenstates ##\phi_E## and wavefunction ##\psi##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last question first: all energy eigenstates are described by an energy eigenfunction.
They are solutions to ##\hat H\phi_E = E\phi_E## ... i.e. it is an eigenfunction of the hamiltonian operator.
All energy eigenfunctions are wavefunctions, but not all wavefunctions are energy eigenfunctions.
i.e. ##\psi = c_1\phi_1 + c_2\phi_2## is a wavefunction that is not an energy eigenfunction (..for ##c_1,c_2\neq 0##).

In your setup you have used the same notation to refer to two different eigenfunctions ... one odd and one even.
You should start with definitions ... the potential and wavefunctions will be peicewise. Take care to keep track of the peices.

Likes Potatochip911
Simon Bridge said:
In your setup you have used the same notation to refer to two different eigenfunctions ... one odd and one even.
You should start with definitions ... the potential and wavefunctions will be peicewise. Take care to keep track of the peices.
Hmm if the potential is symmetric is symmetric will it not just be a ##V(x)## everywhere?

Edit: Perhaps that isn't the best way of stating what I'm trying to say. I don't see why the potential will be piecewise is what I'm trying to say

Any potential is V(x) everywhere, that is what V(x) means.
You need to work out how to handle the distinction.
Try writing out what you know for x>0 first, assume that ##\phi## is a solution to that; then try it for x<0 ... in order for ##\phi## to also be a solution in this case, what property must it have?

Likes Potatochip911
Simon Bridge said:
Any potential is V(x) everywhere, that is what V(x) means.
You need to work out how to handle the distinction.
Try writing out what you know for x>0 first, assume that ##\phi## is a solution to that; then try it for x<0 ... in order for ##\phi## to also be a solution in this case, what property must it have?

x>0 is ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi(x)}{\partial x^2}+V(x)\psi(x)=E\psi(x)##, if ##\phi## is a solution then we have ##[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+V(x)]\phi(x)=E\phi(x)##, for x<0 do you want me to use ##x\to -x##?

Edit: I understand now, the next step was to do (1)-(2) and then to observe that (1)+(2) is an even function and (1)-(2) is an odd function.

Last edited:
That would work. Well done.

Likes Potatochip911

Related to If ##V(x)## is an even function then the energy eigenfunc....

1. What does it mean for a potential function to be even?

For a function to be even, it means that it is symmetric with respect to the y-axis. This means that if you were to reflect the graph of the function about the y-axis, it would look exactly the same as the original graph.

2. How does the evenness of the potential function affect the energy eigenfunctions?

If the potential function is even, it means that the potential energy does not change when the position of the particle is reflected about the origin. This results in the energy eigenfunctions being either even or odd functions. This is because the Schrodinger equation is symmetric under reflection about the origin.

3. Can the energy eigenfunctions be both even and odd for an even potential function?

No, the energy eigenfunctions cannot be both even and odd for an even potential function. This is because an even function multiplied by an odd function will result in an odd function, and an odd function multiplied by an odd function will result in an even function. Therefore, the energy eigenfunctions must be either even or odd for an even potential function.

4. How does the symmetry of the energy eigenfunctions affect the probability of finding a particle?

The symmetry of the energy eigenfunctions affects the probability of finding a particle in that it determines whether the probability density is symmetric or anti-symmetric about the origin. For even energy eigenfunctions, the probability density will be symmetric, meaning there is an equal chance of finding the particle on either side of the origin. For odd energy eigenfunctions, the probability density will be anti-symmetric, meaning there is a higher chance of finding the particle at the origin and a lower chance of finding it on either side.

5. Are there any other consequences of the potential function being even?

Yes, there are other consequences of the potential function being even. For example, it leads to the degeneracy of energy levels, meaning that multiple energy eigenfunctions can have the same energy eigenvalue. Additionally, it simplifies the mathematical calculations involved in solving for the energy eigenfunctions, making it easier to find solutions to the Schrodinger equation.