Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
I prefer 1970s Isley Bros

Physics news on Phys.org

Likes pinball1970
Check out the guitar solo.

pinball1970 said:
Check out the guitar solo.

That's the Esley Brothers: Could have fooled me

And preceding soul and Motown was the Blues:

Last edited:
Girl groups Motown:

Check this guy out: 50s/(Early 60s. Epitome of Beatnik/ Jazz.. I'm not that old- But from the US of A.

The seventies was not all that bad:

Hungarian guitarist, saw at Monterey jazz festival.

Likes AlexB23

Beautiful, cool, laidback and groovy:

Worldwide Groove Corporation - Glitter & Bliss

Likes pinball1970
Been visiting the way-back machine

Likes pinball1970
And yes, I admit it! I loved The Carpenters.

In fact, they lived very close to me when they were first starting out. Our family also had mutual friends with them at what was then Cal State Long Beach. Years later, Karen apparently moved back in with her parents after divorcing.

One day I was working on a mobile CAT Scanner parked by the ER entrance at Downey Community Hospital, when I saw an ambulance arrive. I saw them remove a woman from the ambulance and rush her into the ER. A few moments later I heard a nurse whisper "That was Karen Carpenter". A short time later we learned that she had died. So sad. She was a treasure. I felt a great sense of personal loss with her. Actually being there when she died certainly amplified that feeling.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Hey, cool! I'd never seen the original recording being made.

After my ex and I split, I fell madly in love with the most beautiful young woman I'd ever met. Because of our age difference I knew I couldn't keep her forever, but I got three years. And for three years this song was running through my mind almost constantly. I don't know why this song but apparently, she brought this out somehow. And for three years I could barely function. She was all I could think about. It was profoundly incapacitating. And it was the greatest experience of my life. I didn't know it was possible to be so happy.

I only got a chance with her because from the moment we met, I was willing to do anything to see her again. It was a case of love at first sight. It was total reckless abandon for a once-in-a-lifetime love. And I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Last edited:
  • Care
Likes pinball1970
Ivan Seeking said:
After my ex and I split, I fell madly in love with the most beautiful young woman I'd ever met. Because of our age difference I knew I couldn't keep her forever, but I got three years. And for three years this song was running through my mind almost constantly. I don't know why this song but apparently, she brought this out somehow. And for three years I could barely function. She was all I could think about. It was profoundly incapacitating. And it was the greatest experience of my life. I didn't know it was possible to be so happy.

I only got a chance with her because from the moment we met, I was willing to do anything to see her again. It was a case of love at first sight. It was total reckless abandon for a once-in-a-lifetime love. And I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Always tricky responding to this kind of thing because ultimately it's nice to think that people can find happiness.
Totally on board with that and music is like a glue when that happens with that right person in the moment.
Relationships are another matter (I will not expand ha ha)
Anyway, John Denver just beautiful. A clear flawless voice in all his range, no deviation.
My personal favourites are, Sunshine on my shoulders, Calypso, The eagle and the Hawk and Amsterdam (prefer these live at the London Palladium 1976)

Likes Ivan Seeking
pinball1970 said:
Always tricky responding to this kind of thing because ultimately it's nice to think that people can find happiness.
Totally on board with that and music is like a glue when that happens with that right person in the moment.
Relationships are another matter (I will not expand ha ha)
Anyway, John Denver just beautiful. A clear flawless voice in all his range, no deviation.
My personal favourites are, Sunshine on my shoulders, Calypso, The eagle and the Hawk and Amsterdam (prefer these live at the London Palladium 1976)
I knew it couldn't possibly last, and I knew that in the end I was going to get hurt badly but gave it my all anyway. And that was the best decision I've ever made. It even struck me that it is far better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all. And you can quote me on that. :oldeyes: But seriously, those were just words before. Not now! Letting her go was the hardest thing I have ever had to do but I wouldn't give up one second of any of it. It was the pinnacle event of my life.

I loved just about everything John Denver. When he and Cousteau teamed up it was pure magic! Calypso is probably my favorite. But for three years Annie's Song was burned into my waking consciousness. So strange. [At night I often saw her eyes in my dreams :oldlaugh:].

Likes Ivan Seeking
Does anyone remember little Jackie Evancho? This is from her performance at the Lincoln Center back in 2011- the youngest soloist to do so. She was 10 and 11 years old when she did this. I was so blown away by her performances that I made a point to go see her and meet her while she was doing this tour.

I love this performance.

This is another favorite of mine

I guess you have to use go to the play list for her Dream with Me Tour. The first link gets you there.

Likes DennisN
ELO and Abba were my two favorite bands when I was younger (ca 10-12 years).
After that I got into 1950s music and The Beatles.

I haven't listened to ELO for quite a while, but listened to it today and instantly got reminded of childhood...

Quite simple but excellent lyrics with a strong message, I think:
(and the verse in French is still surprising to me, it is very unusual to hear both English and French in a song, I don't know any other song that has it)

ELO - Hold On Tight (a version with lyrics is here)

And another song with an amazing arrangement:

Livin' Thing - Jeff Lynne's ELO Live with Rosie Langley and Amy Langley, Glastonbury 2016
(original song is here)

Likes morrobay and fresh_42
DennisN said:
(and the verse in French is still surprising to me, it is very unusual to hear both English and French in a song, I don't know any other song that has it)

Likes DennisN
fresh_42 said:

Good call, I knew the song but I didn't think of that! And it's a good song. :smile:

I hadn't heard the Iggy Pop song before, I think.

Likes fresh_42
DennisN said:
Good call, I knew the song but I didn't think of that! And it's a good song. :smile:

I hadn't heard the Iggy Pop song before, I think.
And there is the mother of all language mixtures.

The interesting part of that accident of a song is when he switches from German back to English. You can literally hear how the uncertainty fell off.

I was surprised that I couldn't find mixed language songs from Celine Dion.

I wonder whether we should have a thread about songs that are mainly known by their cover instead of the original:

My way was Comme d'habitude
Those were the days
was Дорогой длинною (The long way)
I drove all night was first sung by Roy Orbison (his last record), Cyndi Lauper and Celine Dion came after that
What now my love was Et maintenant (and Bécaud sang it also as a mixed language version)

And I'm sure there are more songs like that.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
I wonder whether we should have a thread about songs that are mainly known by their cover instead of the original.
I have about ten ready!

• Informative
Likes DennisN and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
And there is the mother of all language mixtures
Ah, "Wooden heart/Muss i denn", I haven't heard that one in a very long time.

DennisN said:
Ah, "Wooden heart/Muss i denn", I haven't heard that one in a very long time.
I'll start the thread.

Likes DennisN and fresh_42
Oh, I just remembered this one... The Beatles also mixed English and French, of course:

The Beatles - Michelle

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
DennisN said:
Oh, I just remembered this one... The Beatles also mixed English and French, of course:

The Beatles - Michelle

Does "yeah" already count as English? I mean ...

... one has to respect that they tried their best with all those "ch", "ü", "eu", and "h".

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
fresh_42 said:
Does "yeah" already count as English? I mean ...

... one has to respect that they tried their best with all those "ch", "ü", "eu", and "h".

That was the next thread but the light hearted one has already hit a problem!

Likes fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
That was the next thread but the light hearted one has already hit a problem!
It wasn't the only one, though.