Which PhD Should I Choose Given My Background in Nanotechnology and Engineering?

• Thread starter j1801
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: However, it would depend on the specific program and research focus.In summary, my advice would be to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision. Each option has its own pros and cons, so it is important to weigh them carefully. Regardless of which program you choose, a PhD is a challenging but rewarding journey, and with determination and hard work, you can succeed in any field. Best of luck in your decision-making process.Sincerely,[Your Name]
j1801
Hello everyone,

I am torn amongst a few choices on a PhD. Also, I lack knowledge in nanotechnology and engineering and so would appreciate your insights.

Firstly, my qualifications and inclinations:

school and a level: out of all the sciences, scored best for maths and physics
undergrad degree : genetics (didn't like it, results were ok, but did well at labwork)
masters : nanotechnology (very general degree. absolutely loved it. Part of the project was materials science-based; concentrated more on theory than practical but loved it).

I have several choices for a PhD:

1. Accepted into a UK uni to do: nanoparticle synthesis/fabrication, modelling/simulation, optics and ultrasonics.

- not good at simulation. Would love to do nanoparticle fabrication. Very intrigued by optics and ultrasonics.

- However, thought funding would be fine. But now, would need to get a loan or scholarship from one or more organizations. 2. A math, SEM and perhaps nanometallurgy project.

- During Masters, was fascinated by the SEM. Loved math at school and college. During masters, wished that I could do more on materials engineering. Would have loved to have more hands-on on engineering technologies.

- Supervisor is quite well-established. But uni is under-funded and under-equipped. Would have to do parts of my project at other local unis.

- May get a chance to do part of my PhD overseas, which is good.

- I would be assisted with getting funding, if I decide to do this.

- Was advised that it would be a hard road as I have little to no background. It is also a big commitment. A PhD is notoriously challenging.

- Literature and online resources are known to be a challenge. As I lack the fundamentals, I would need all I can get.

- Would the challenges of learning a new thing, on top of the challenges of a PhD and a newly set-up uni be too much? 3. Stick to the field that is suited to my degrees. Apply for bionanotechnology PhDs scholarships.

- Biology is not my thing, but it's safe. I may or may not get to gain experience with engineering tools. May be able to do some imaging.

- A few supervisors in a Singapore uni are interested in me.

- Not guaranteed a place i.e. scholarship. My undergrad results are not good and I've not published any papers. Scholarships are obviously very competitive.

- The PhDs will all commence late next year. PhD choices 1 and 2 are available now.

- Have never worked in Singapore and do not know how it may be like.As you can see, I've had just a taste of nanotech and would like more, but is a PhD too much? If I were to go into an engineering degree, how would my overall qualification be viewed? What are the prospects for 1 and 2 in nanotech? If I were to do nanometallurgy, can I branch into say, semiconductors? Thank you very much for your help. Regards,
j1801

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Dear j1801,

As a scientist with experience in nanotechnology and engineering, I can understand your dilemma and the importance of choosing the right PhD program. Based on your qualifications and inclinations, it seems like you have a strong interest in both nanotechnology and engineering. Here are my insights and advice on the three choices you have mentioned:

1. Nanoparticle synthesis/fabrication, modelling/simulation, optics and ultrasonics: This PhD program seems to align well with your interests and background in nanotechnology. However, if you are not confident in your simulation skills, it may be challenging to keep up with the program. You could try to brush up on your simulation skills before starting the program or seek additional support from your supervisor or other resources. Additionally, if funding is a concern, you could consider applying for scholarships or grants to cover the costs.

2. Math, SEM and nanometallurgy project: This option offers a mix of your interests in math, SEM, and materials engineering. It is great that your supervisor is well-established, but the under-funded and under-equipped university may pose challenges. However, the opportunity to do part of your PhD overseas could be beneficial in terms of gaining experience and networking. If you have a strong interest in this project, and your supervisor is supportive and willing to assist with funding, it could be a good choice for you.

3. Bionanotechnology PhD scholarships: While this option may be the safest and most aligned with your current qualifications, it may not be as fulfilling as the other two options. If biology is not your strong suit, you may not enjoy the program as much, and it may not provide you with the engineering experience you desire. However, if you are interested in imaging and have the opportunity to work with engineering tools, it could still be a valuable experience.

In terms of your overall qualifications and prospects, a PhD in nanotechnology or engineering would be highly regarded in the scientific community. Your previous degrees in genetics and nanotechnology would also be viewed positively, as they provide a strong foundation for your PhD studies. As for the prospects of each option, it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you have a specific industry or area of research in mind, it would be beneficial to choose a program that aligns with those interests.

In terms of branching out into other fields, it is possible to do so with a PhD in nanotechnology. Many nanotechnology projects involve interdisciplinary research and collaborations, so

Dear j1801,

Thank you for reaching out for help in making a decision about your PhD. It is clear that you have a strong interest in nanotechnology and engineering, and it is commendable that you are seeking advice from others in the field.

Based on your qualifications and inclinations, it seems that you would be most fulfilled by pursuing a PhD in the field of nanotechnology. While it may be challenging to learn new skills and concepts, it is important to remember that a PhD is a long-term commitment and it is important to choose a topic that truly interests and excites you. It is also worth considering that your lack of background in certain areas can be compensated for through hard work and dedication.

Regarding your specific choices for a PhD, it is important to carefully weigh the pros and cons of each option. The first option, nanoparticle synthesis/fabrication, modelling/simulation, optics and ultrasonics, seems to align well with your interests and strengths. However, the funding situation may be a concern. It would be wise to explore all possible avenues for funding, such as grants and scholarships, before committing to this option.

The second option, a math, SEM, and nanometallurgy project, also appears to align with your interests and could provide valuable hands-on experience in engineering technologies. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential challenges of working at an under-funded and under-equipped university. It may be helpful to visit the university and speak with current students and faculty to get a better understanding of the resources and support available.

Finally, the third option of sticking to the field that is suited to your degrees and applying for bionanotechnology PhD scholarships may provide a safer and more familiar path, but may not be as fulfilling as pursuing your true interests in nanotechnology and engineering.

In terms of how your overall qualification would be viewed, it is important to remember that a PhD is a specialized degree and employers will value the expertise and skills you have gained in your specific field of study. As for the prospects of options 1 and 2 in nanotechnology, it is difficult to predict the future, but it is a rapidly growing field with many applications and opportunities. As for branching into semiconductors, it is possible to gain experience and knowledge in different areas through collaborations and internships, so it is not necessary to limit yourself to one specific subfield.

In conclusion, I would encourage you to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and the challenges and

Related to Which PhD Should I Choose Given My Background in Nanotechnology and Engineering?

1. How do I determine which PhD program is right for me?

There are several factors to consider when deciding on a PhD program, including your research interests, the faculty and resources available at each program, and the potential job opportunities after graduation. It is important to do thorough research and reach out to current students and professors for more information.

2. Should I choose a PhD program based on location?

Location can be a factor in your decision, but it should not be the sole determining factor. Consider the overall quality of the program and the opportunities it offers, rather than just the location.

3. Is it better to choose a PhD program with a well-known university or a lesser-known one?

The reputation of the university can be important, but it is not the only factor to consider. Look at the specific department and faculty within the program, as well as their research areas and publications. This will have a greater impact on your success in the program and future career.

4. How important is funding when choosing a PhD program?

Funding is a crucial factor to consider, as it can greatly impact your ability to focus on your research and complete your PhD. Look into the funding opportunities available at each program, such as scholarships, grants, and assistantships.

5. Should I choose a PhD program based on the length of time it takes to complete?

The length of a PhD program can vary greatly, but it is important to focus on the quality and fit of the program rather than the length. Consider the research opportunities, faculty support, and potential for publications and job opportunities after graduation.