Which one of these Linear Algebra textbooks is the best?

In summary, a good linear algebra textbook for beginners would be "Linear Algebra: A First Course with Applications to Differential Equations" by Tom M. Apostol or "An Engineering Approach to Linear Algebra" by W.W. Sawyer.

Which one of these books do you prefer(up to two)?

• Strang - Introduction to Linear Algebra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strang - Linear Algebra and Applications

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Joker93
I want a good linear algebra textbook in order to learn to use linear algebra in physics but also to use it in more theoretical mathematics courses.
I hope that with this poll i will also help others that want to study from a proper Linear Algebra textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
those are all good books, but different from each other. if i were starting out i would probably start with friedberg and spence or lang, then move up to hoffman and kunze and then halmos. i am not a big fan of axler or strang, although many people are. as pointed out here many times, a favorite with people here is the free book linear algebra done wrong, by sergei treil at brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
mathwonk said:
those are all good books, but different from each other. if i were starting out i would probably start with friedberg and spence or lang, then move up to hoffman and kunze and then halmos. i am not a big fan of axler or strang, although many people are. as pointed out here many times, a favorite with people here is the free book linear algebra done wrong, by sergei treil at brown.
I will check out the book Linear Algebra Done Wrong!
Having seen both Strang's books and Axler's books, i must say that they are very clearly written. Could you please tell me why do you prefer the books that you mentioned?
And by the way, thanks for the recommendations!

Krylov said:
I would like to also point out Peter Lax's https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471751561/?tag=pfamazon01-20, which does not receive so much attention here. In my opinion, it is a very good second book on the subject.
He has two books. Are sure you are not referring to his textbook "Linear Algebra" rather than "Linear Algebra and Its Applications"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Landos said:
He has two books. Are sure you are not referring to his textbook "Linear Algebra" rather than "Linear Algebra and Its Applications"?
The book with "applications" in the title is an updated and enlarged edition. I suppose that including this word was encouraged by the publisher.

Likes Joker93
i guess axler's book is a little terse for my liking. i actually did learn some proofs from it to use in my own writing, but for a beginner i don't think he gives enough examples and details to get a good grasp. as for strang i just found his writing style depressing in an artistic sense almost., i did like his online free lectures though, they were irresistably clear. so yes if you like those books then go for them. i myself sometimes get bored with clear but dull books. sometimes i like clear and sometimes i like beautiful and sometimes i like fun. i have also written several books on the topic. free in my webpage. (but not as good as treil.)
http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~roy/

Adam Landos said:
I want a good linear algebra textbook in order to learn to use linear algebra in physics but also to use it in more theoretical mathematics courses.
I hope that with this poll i will also help others that want to study from a proper Linear Algebra textbook.[/QUOT "Linear Algebra: A First Course with Applications to Differential Equations" by Tom M. Apostol (Aug 2014.; John Wiley & Sons), with chapter o: review of prerequisites, is worth of being included in your list. Could also be added, "An Engineering Approach to Linear Algebra" by W.W. Sawyer (Jan. 2009; Cambridge University Press).

Related to Which one of these Linear Algebra textbooks is the best?

What are the top 5 Linear Algebra textbooks?

The top 5 Linear Algebra textbooks are "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, "Linear Algebra" by Serge Lang, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole.

Which textbook is the best for beginners?

The best textbook for beginners would be "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay. It provides a solid foundation in the basics of linear algebra and has clear explanations and examples for students new to the subject.

Which textbook is best for advanced learners?

For advanced learners, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler is highly recommended. It covers more abstract concepts and proofs, making it a great resource for students looking to deepen their understanding of linear algebra.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing a Linear Algebra textbook?

Some key factors to consider when choosing a Linear Algebra textbook are the level of difficulty, the style of writing and explanations, the inclusion of real-world applications, and the availability of practice problems and solutions.

Are there any online resources to supplement these textbooks?

Yes, many of these textbooks have online resources such as practice problems, solutions, and interactive visualizations. Additionally, there are many online videos and lectures available for free on platforms like YouTube and Khan Academy that can help supplement your learning.