Which math class should I choose for a minor?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Minor
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which two math courses to take to become a better problem solver and enhance their critical thinking skills. They are a biomedical engineering major and plan on taking the MCAT in a year. They want to challenge their way of thinking and find a solution outside the box. Suggestions include Topics in Advanced Calculus and Number Theory, but ultimately, the individual should choose courses that interest them the most.
Mdhiggenz
Hey guys,

I need to take two more math two more math courses to qualify for a minor in mathematics, but I want to pick two classes which will help me become a better problem solver.

I copied the list below, in your opinion which do you feel will be a class that would enhance my problem solving skills.

Thanks

MAD 4203 Introduction to Combinatorics (3 credits)
MAA 4402 Complex Variables (3 credits)
MTG 3212 College Geometry (3 credits)
MAS 4213 Number Theory (3 credits)
MAA 4212 Topics in Advanced Calculus (3 credits)
MAS 4302 Topics in Algebraic Structures (3 credits)
MTG 4302 Topology (3 credits)

List 2

MAP 4401 Advanced Differential Equations (3 credits)
MAD 3305 Graph Theory (3 credits)
MAP 3103 Mathematical Modeling (3 credits)
STA 4322 Mathematical Statistics II (3 credits)
MAD 3401 Numerical Analysis (3 credits)
MHF 4302 Mathematical Logic (3 credits)
MHF 4102 Axiomatic Set Theory (3 credits)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "become a better problem solver"? Better at solving what kind of problems?

critical thinking, the types of problems where you need more than just a formula to solve.

I don't think that's too specific. Do you mean

-calculus over the complex numbers, differential equations and systems, maybe even PDEs? (Complex variables and Diff Eq 2).

-working with discrete problems, algorithms, series, recurrence relations, etc (combinatorics and graphy theory).

-Very proof intensive thought problems (algebra, analysis, set theory, logic, topology).

-I'm not quite sure how to describe it (number theory)

-traditional geometry (geometry)

-I don't know much about problem solving in modeling and statistics and numerical methods (Modeling, numerical methods and statistics) but I don't really think it's what you're looking for?

Any specific group(s) there that you prefer or have interests in? Do you want it to be directly relevant to your major (which is?)?

Edit: Roughly every course has some formula you need to use. But it's often derived or proven in the course for your convenience to solve problems computationally.

Generally, it's what introductory college and high school maths do not do. (Ex: derivative rules, fundamental theorem of calculus in calc 1)

Last edited:
I vote for Topics in Advance Calculus, which I assume is just an intro to real analysis. I've found out of any other class, this type of class taught me the most about how to be creative with definitions and theorems. It's hard to prove something that seems obvious but this class gave me the tools to do so.

The second one I would just pick based on what sounds interesting. I'm bias towards Stats because the more you know about the stats, the better off you'll be :).

I apologize, I guess I was a bit vague. Well I'm a biomedical engineering major, and I plan on taking the mcat in a year.

I was talking to a guy in the library and he told me that he owes most of his success in the mcat to the critical thinking and rigorous problem solving techniques that he underwent as a math major.

So I guess I want to take a class that will challenge the way you see the world and make you think outside the box to come up with a solution.

Some of the courses listed may be too challenging. What is your mathematical background (coursework+readings) and how experienced are you with proofs? If you meet the requirements (I'm familiar with FL public schools math courses) of these courses, then you may be prepared.

Judging by your major, I think you'll be happy with some math that is indirectly relevant (usually the fun ones in my opinion).

On the side, my physics professor mentioned that fluid dynamics is helpful in the mcat since it is applicable to blood pressure, etc. He wasn't specific whether physics 1 was enough though and I am only slightly familiar with the mcat exam.

Different to answer your question because it is vague and largely subjective, since they all are rigorous. If I had to pick one I would definitely pick number theory.

I suppose you should pick whatever will relate the most to what you want to do -- that seems to make sense.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess from what your all saying. Numbers theory and advanced calculus is the way to go?

Mdhiggenz said:
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess from what your all saying. Numbers theory and advanced calculus is the way to go?

Not really. All the classes are rigorous, so you just need to find out what interests you the most and take that. Number theory and advanced calculus are great suggestions, but maybe there are things you'll like better. If you want to learn rigor, problem solving and critical thinking, then all classes are good.

Related to Which math class should I choose for a minor?

1. What are the prerequisites for a math minor?

The prerequisites for a math minor vary depending on the university or college you attend. Generally, you will need to have completed introductory courses in algebra and calculus. Some institutions may also require a course in linear algebra or differential equations.

2. Is there a specific math class that is required for all math minors?

No, there is not a specific math class that is required for all math minors. Each institution will have their own list of required courses for a math minor, so it is important to check with your academic advisor to see which courses you need to take.

3. How do I choose which math class to take for my minor?

When choosing a math class for your minor, consider your strengths and interests. You may also want to think about how the class will benefit your future career or academic goals. Consulting with your academic advisor can also help you make an informed decision.

4. Can I take an advanced math class for my minor even if I haven't taken the prerequisite courses?

It is not recommended to take an advanced math class for your minor if you have not completed the prerequisite courses. These courses are designed to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in the advanced class. However, you can always speak with your professor or academic advisor to see if there are any alternative options.

5. How important is it to have a math minor for my chosen career?

The importance of having a math minor for your career will depend on your specific career goals. Some careers, such as engineering or data analysis, may require a strong background in math. Having a math minor can also make you a more competitive candidate for jobs in various fields. However, it ultimately depends on your individual career path and goals.