Which is Better: The Wheel of Time or LotR?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Wheel
In summary, the Wheel of Time was heavily influenced by LotR, but it's unique enough to stand on it's own. Which do you prefer? LOTR, the book, were slow with all of the elf poems that made me crazy, I had to skip over them. The movies I loved.
The Wheel of Time was heavily influenced by LotR, but it's unique enough to stand on it's own. Which do you prefer?

Physics news on Phys.org
The wheel of time becomes really boring in the middle. There are books of 600 pages which literally don't advance the story at all. Furthermore, the end of the wheel of time is very open. I would have loved some more closure (I do appreciate that the series got a closure at all after the author dying). But, for example, I would have loved to know which characters lived and which characters died. It's not at all clear. I ended the series with a lot of unanswered questions and it's really frustrating.

So I prefer the Lord of the Rings for these reasons.

Nothing and absolutely nothing beats LOTR not wheel of time, not Inheritance, not harry potter, not even Principia Mathematica (though it comes close).

Greg Bernhardt said:
The Wheel of Time was heavily influenced by LotR, but it's unique enough to stand on it's own. Which do you prefer?
I prefer the Wheel of Time, but as micro said, it does slow down after, I think the 4th book in (it's been years.)

LOTR, the book, were slow with all of the elf poems that made me crazy, I had to skip over them.

The movies I loved.

Had you picked a comparison like "A Song of Ice and Fire", Greg, it would have been a difficult choice.

I found the WoT extremely boring.

LoTR, no competition. It's like comparing Katharine Ross to Jennifer Aniston.

The first 3 books of WoT were good but then it just turned into a effort to produce words.

Integral said:
The first 3 books of WoT were good but then it just turned into a effort to produce words.

I agree. I particularly liked book 1, but the two next followups weren't that bad, either. But, then it just rambled on and on (I believe I have read 6 or 7 of the books).

I hope this isn't too far away from the OP to be distracting.

I must admit, I haven't read "Wheel of Time", but I have read LOTR a couple of times along with the Hobbit (which IMHO not as good as LOTR by quite a margin). Not being a massive reader, I considered that LOTR was as good as that style of writing could be, but then, I was introduced to the "Far-seer Trilogy" by Robin Hobb. If you, like myself think that 'Tolkin' is/was great, Robin Hobb steps it up a level. Think Game of Thrones without the multitude of waring groups and almost random deaths.

Damo

I also like the Farseer Trilogy, Tawny Man and Second Son works by Robin Hobb. :smile:

The Wheel of Time for me. The ones I have read are Malazan series (not full) but boy, those are AWESOME!

I call for a vote that all who prefer the wheel of time to LoTR be banned for as long as it takes to reread the LoTR triology and change their opinions. :devil: (:biggrin:)

@Damo ET- Hobbit is great as a children's novel, adults should stick to the later three
@Evo- Elf poems drive you crazy? Those poems were the best part of the book, I believe I kept singing TOM-BOM-BOMBADIL and Strider's introduction by Bilbo for a month,
I was 12 :blushing:

Last edited:
By the way Greg which do YOU prefer?

Related to Which is Better: The Wheel of Time or LotR?

1. What are the main similarities and differences between The Wheel of Time and The Lord of the Rings?

The main similarity between The Wheel of Time and The Lord of the Rings is that they are both epic fantasy series set in a fictional world with complex characters and intricate plotlines. However, there are also several differences between them. The Wheel of Time is a much longer series with 14 books, while The Lord of the Rings is a trilogy. The magic systems in both series also differ, with The Wheel of Time having a more structured and detailed system. Additionally, The Wheel of Time has a larger and more diverse cast of characters compared to The Lord of the Rings.

2. Which series came first, The Wheel of Time or The Lord of the Rings?

The Lord of the Rings was published in 1954, while The Wheel of Time was first published in 1990. Therefore, The Lord of the Rings came first and has had a significant influence on The Wheel of Time and other epic fantasy series.

3. Can The Wheel of Time be considered a "rip-off" of The Lord of the Rings?

No, The Wheel of Time is not a rip-off of The Lord of the Rings. While there are some similarities between the two series, such as the use of magic and the presence of a dark lord, The Wheel of Time has its own unique world, characters, and plot that sets it apart from The Lord of the Rings. In fact, The Wheel of Time author, Robert Jordan, has stated that The Lord of the Rings was one of his major inspirations for writing his series.

4. Which series has a more complex and detailed world-building?

This is a subjective question and can vary from reader to reader. However, many readers consider The Wheel of Time to have a more complex and detailed world-building compared to The Lord of the Rings. This is due to the vast amount of information and history provided in The Wheel of Time, as well as the inclusion of multiple cultures and societies within the world.

5. Are there any connections or references between The Wheel of Time and The Lord of the Rings?

There are no direct connections or references between The Wheel of Time and The Lord of the Rings, as they are set in different fictional worlds. However, as mentioned earlier, The Wheel of Time was heavily influenced by The Lord of the Rings and there are some subtle nods and homages to The Lord of the Rings throughout the series. For example, the character of Bela the horse is a nod to Bill the pony from The Lord of the Rings.