Which degree for Materials Science?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of studying materials science and engineering, particularly focusing on hard materials and their applications. The person is currently a chemical engineering student but is considering switching to mechanical engineering in order to have a better understanding of solid materials. They are seeking advice on whether a chemical engineering degree can lead to a career in materials science and if it is necessary to switch majors. The conversation also touches on the study of soft materials and their applications.
cytochrome
I'm currently a chemical engineering student and I have a huge interest in materials science, probably more so hard materials than soft materials (which is why I feel chemical engineering is a bad choice).

Can I get into the field of materials science via a chemical engineering degree? Ideally I'd like to go to graduate school for Materials Science and Engineering but I'm afraid my chemical engineering background will be laughed at because we mostly do applied thermodynamics to solutions.

I could also change my major to Mechanical Engineering (materials science would take too long to complete since my school does not offer MSE summer classes) and therefore be more adept at solid materials. I don't know...

I'm lost. Can someone give advice as to whether or not a chemical engineer could get involved in the materials science field? Particularly studying mechanics of materials and rational materials design? Or should I change to mechanical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm studying Materials Science & Engineering and there's a whole side of it dedicated to hard materials (I guess you mean everything related to steel resistance?), metallurgy, micro-structure of materials, how they behave when strain, torsion, etc is applied, how to reinforce them for a specific application.. In some universities, they study that as part of a Mechanical Engineering program.

ezintegral said:
I'm studying Materials Science & Engineering and there's a whole side of it dedicated to hard materials (I guess you mean everything related to steel resistance?), metallurgy, micro-structure of materials, how they behave when strain, torsion, etc is applied, how to reinforce them for a specific application.. In some universities, they study that as part of a Mechanical Engineering program.

What part of materials science studies soft materials and what are the applications?

Related to Which degree for Materials Science?

1. What is Materials Science?

Materials Science is a branch of science that investigates the properties and behavior of different types of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites. It involves understanding the structure, composition, and processing of materials to develop new and improved materials for various applications.

2. What degree should I pursue for a career in Materials Science?

A degree in Materials Science or a related field such as Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or Metallurgy is typically required for a career in Materials Science. However, some employers may also consider candidates with degrees in Physics, Chemistry, or Mechanical Engineering.

3. What skills are needed for a degree in Materials Science?

A degree in Materials Science requires a strong foundation in mathematics, chemistry, and physics. In addition, critical thinking, problem-solving, and laboratory skills are essential for conducting experiments and analyzing data. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other researchers and presenting findings to a wider audience.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in Materials Science?

While a bachelor's degree may be sufficient for some entry-level positions in Materials Science, a graduate degree, such as a Master's or Ph.D., is often preferred for more advanced roles in research and development. A graduate degree can also lead to higher salaries and more opportunities for career advancement in the field.

5. What are the job prospects for someone with a degree in Materials Science?

The job outlook for Materials Scientists is favorable, with a projected 4% growth in employment opportunities from 2019 to 2029. Graduates with a degree in Materials Science can find employment in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, electronics, healthcare, and energy. They can also pursue careers in research and development, quality control, and technical consulting.