Which college should I choose?

• Schools
  • Thread starter shuvobd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the three universities you've mentioned have different levels of funding, research focus, and course availability. I would suggest doing some research on each institution to see which would be best for you.
shuvobd
Hi,
I'm an international undergrad student having major in Physics. I've got the offer to transfer my credits to:
1. Hong Kong University of Science & Technology. (Annual costs approx. 19000 USD)
2. University of Manitoba, Canada. (Annual costs approx. 21000 USD)
3. Louisiana Tech University. (Annual costs approx. 20000 USD)

I've got some reservations: I want to have my M.S & Ph.D completed at one of the top North American Universities (specially in the U.S). I got to know that for M.S & Ph.D the top universities in U.S accept 25% students from outside the U.S. Other 75% comes from within the U.S.

Also, I can't spend a lot for my undergrad study. So I've chosen these universities. Which University is more likely to cost less than the others(i.e. scholarships/ financial aids/ student loans)?

Which university do you suggest (from where I can really study Physics & get a chance to have my M.S & Ph. D in the U.S)?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a hard comparison... the universities you've listed here are really different... it's going to probably require research on your part. I'd suggest that you look at department web pages or contact the departments themselves to see if they have any information about where recent graduates from the undergraduate programs have gone on to pursue their graduate degrees. Also, you should look at the research projects availability to undergraduates at the various institutions... look at publication rates, quality of research, how those projects themselves would advance you in the field which you want to later pursue, etc.

@Physics Girl, generally HKUST has 3 years of undergrad study where Univ. Manitoba has 4. Why is this 1 year difference- I don't know.
Here are the course names:
http://www.phys.ust.hk/UG-courses/"
http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/course_info.html"

Also, research in HKUST is based on mostly experimental rather than theoretical.
http://web.phys.ust.hk/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=19&Itemid=79"
http://www.physics.umanitoba.ca/research.html"

From the class of HKUST graduating this year(55 students), a few students went to SUNY Stony Brook, one to Cornell & some to other mid- level universities for higher study. However, I don't know about UManitoba's Physics grads placement for higher education.

HKUST has a few more teachers who hold Ph.D degrees from universities like UC Berkeley/ MIT/ Princeton than UManitoba.

Can you please help me out? Because I've fell in an infinity loop in choosing which is better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Which college should I choose?

What factors should I consider when choosing a college?

Some factors to consider when choosing a college include location, academic programs, campus culture, cost, and overall fit for your personal and academic goals.

How do I know which college is the best fit for me?

Choosing the best college for you involves researching and visiting different campuses, talking to current students and alumni, and considering your own personal preferences and priorities.

What are the top-ranked colleges in my field of study?

The top-ranked colleges in your field of study may vary depending on different ranking systems. It is important to research and compare multiple sources to get a comprehensive understanding of the top colleges in your field.

Should I choose a college based on its prestige?

Prestige should not be the only factor in choosing a college. While a prestigious college may offer valuable opportunities and resources, it is important to also consider factors such as academic fit, cost, and personal preferences.

What resources are available to help me choose a college?

There are many resources available to help you choose a college, such as college search websites, college fairs, campus tours, and guidance counselors. It is also helpful to talk to current students and alumni to get their perspectives.