Where to find physics internships?

In summary, the community college graduate is looking for opportunities to get involved in physics research, but is having difficulty finding anything in her area. She has spoken to professors at the nearest university, but they all seem to be full. She has also tried to find opportunities through REUs, but has not had any luck. The best advice she has been given is to apply to a co-op for the local hospital.
Ascendant78
I am currently in a community college that just turned state this year. They have absolutely no physics research for me to observe or participate in, but I want to start getting experience asap. I'd rather not wait until I finish my AA to do so, but I just cannot find anything in my area.

I talked to our head honor's advisor, the head of our physics department, and the head of our career services center at our college. The best advice I had gotten was to apply to a co-op for the local hospital and get involved with their nuclear med department. However, I know this is nowhere near optimal, plus since my field is not involved in the med field, I am not even sure they will take me.

I also tried to speak with some professors at the nearest university to no avail. They basically all told me they were either already full with students from their own college, or to see them if I ever decide to go to their college down the road (which does me no good now of course).

At this point, I am just out of ideas. I'm not sure if someone else may have run into a similar situation and was able to find something they could get involved in online, or other nationwide resources that I could try to connect with. Either way, I'm open to anything that anyone can suggest at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some REU programs accept community college students. See http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

These are generally 10 week programs that undergrads participate in over summer. You do research for 40 hours a week. They pay for your travel, housing, and give you a big stipend too. It's basically the best deal an undergraduate could ask for.

I second the REU program option.
I did one this summer (amazing experience, I learned so much) which led to my adviser offering a spot with him to do research that he's doing with the state university (I don't attend there) and also an opportunity to do research with MIT (which I obviously accepted!)

So definitely look into the REUs. They are amazing for networking.
A girl who was in the same REU as myself got offered a research position for this spring with the university we were at because she graduates this December and wants to wait until next fall for grad school.

Also, most of the national labs will take on interns, but the spots are quite competitive.

In my area, there is a local engineering company who always takes on physics, engineers, and comp sci students from my school.

See what your area has to offer.
I always thought where I lived didn't have too much, but once you start looking hard and DONT give up (it takes a while sometime), I'm sure you'll find something.

If you're good with programming, ask around at schools further away and see if they could give you a project in that which requires you not to come in in person.

There's about six places in my area for REU's, I didn't want to make a new thread, so what would I need to put on a resume to be considered for a physics internship?

I understand the importance of gaining hands-on experience and practical skills in your field of study. It can be frustrating when opportunities for research or internships are not readily available in your immediate community. However, there are still ways to find physics internships and gain valuable experience.

One option is to expand your search beyond your local area. Look for internships at universities, national labs, and research institutions in other cities or states. Many of these organizations offer summer internships for undergraduate students, and some even provide housing and travel stipends. You can search for these opportunities on job websites such as Indeed or LinkedIn, or through professional organizations like the American Physical Society.

Another option is to look for virtual internships or research projects. With the current pandemic, many organizations have shifted to remote work and are offering virtual internships in various fields, including physics. These internships may not be as hands-on as in-person ones, but they still provide valuable experience and skills that can be applied in your future career.

Additionally, you can reach out to professors and researchers at other universities or institutions and inquire about potential opportunities for undergraduate students. Networking and making connections in your field can often lead to unexpected opportunities.

Lastly, consider reaching out to local companies or industries that may have a need for physics-related skills. This could include engineering firms, technology companies, or even government agencies. Even if they do not have specific internships listed, they may be open to creating one for a motivated and enthusiastic student.

In summary, while it may be challenging to find physics internships in your immediate community, there are still many options available. Expand your search, network with professionals in your field, and be open to virtual or non-traditional opportunities. With determination and persistence, you will find a valuable internship that will help you gain experience and advance your career in physics.

Related to Where to find physics internships?

1. What types of companies offer physics internships?

There are a variety of companies that offer physics internships, including research institutions, government agencies, technology companies, and engineering firms. It is important to research and apply to internships that align with your interests and career goals.

2. Where can I search for physics internships?

There are many places to search for physics internships, including online job search engines such as Indeed and LinkedIn, university career centers, and professional organizations such as the American Institute of Physics. You can also directly reach out to companies or research institutions to inquire about internship opportunities.

3. What qualifications do I need for a physics internship?

The specific qualifications for a physics internship will vary depending on the company or institution offering the internship. However, most internships will require a strong academic background in physics, as well as relevant coursework or experience in a specific area of physics, such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics. Some internships may also require certain programming or technical skills.

4. Do I need prior research experience for a physics internship?

Not all physics internships require prior research experience, but it can be helpful. Many internships involve research projects, so having prior experience with research methods and techniques can make you a more competitive candidate. However, internships can also be a great way to gain research experience and learn new skills.

5. Are physics internships paid?

Some physics internships are paid, while others may offer academic credit or be unpaid. It is important to carefully research the internship opportunities you are interested in to determine if they offer compensation. Additionally, some internships may offer other benefits such as housing or transportation stipends.