Where does Quantum Optics fit?

In summary, the problem is that there is no clear category for quantum optics as it overlaps with a lot of different fields, and it's typically a postgraduate degree. However, if you are passionate about the subject, you may be able to get in with a good undergraduate degree and dedication.
woepriest
Im a undergrad here and going to finish my last 2 years of classes. Now I really have to look at what grad school programs are offered at different UCs. The problem is that I want to do something in Quantum Optics which is somewhere under experimental quantum physics, but as I look for it almost no school offer it. So am I looking at the wrong place or is it under a different category? Also this should pretty much be applied physics instead of theoretical since I read research papers that are getting this kind of technology out right?

Physics news on Phys.org
definitely a field of theoretical physics/quantum mechanics

it is the on of the main focuses of my university (Auckland), have you checked the department staff and each of their specialized fields? some college websites are just poorly designed...

where have you been looking woepriest? because as the above poster mentioned, quantum optics is heavily researched in Auckland, I am in australia at the university of queensland (UQ), and UQ and the australian national university have a strong research partnership with the government here into quantum optics.
its also a very important area of research in Europe, there you would want to check out the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Physics

Australia... I am on the other side of the ocean at California. Thanks for the info, will definitely look into it. I can't really find anything on this on my side of the country unless its Standford or CIT, not even smart enough to go to those schools.

A short Google search for "quantum optics usa" pulled up this as the first result -

http://www.quantumoptics.net/

I would consider this only a starting point - if you're already reading the literature, it's a good idea to see who the authors cite and who has cited those papers to get an idea of who's who in the field.

woepriest said:
Australia... I am on the other side of the ocean at California. Thanks for the info, will definitely look into it. I can't really find anything on this on my side of the country unless its Standford or CIT, not even smart enough to go to those schools.

yeah i know that caltech does a bit of this also in their applied physics labs, but this sort of stuff is all post graduate work (ie. once youve got a bachelors) in which case its not necessarily about how smart you are to get into a lab, its possible to get in by just being more dedicated to learning the topic than someone else.
Another way to get in is something like summer research opportunities. A lot of labs will take on undergrads over the summer as sort of a way for the undergrad to learn about the real world. Try and get in touch with a lecturer in a uni nearby that researches in quantum optics and see how you go?

Related to Where does Quantum Optics fit?

1. What is Quantum Optics?

Quantum Optics is a field of physics that studies the behavior of light and its interactions with matter at the quantum level. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and classical optics to understand and manipulate the properties of light at the smallest scale.

2. How is Quantum Optics different from classical optics?

Classical optics is based on the wave-like nature of light, while quantum optics takes into account the particle-like nature of light. This means that quantum optics studies the behavior of individual photons, rather than the overall properties of light as a wave.

3. What are the applications of Quantum Optics?

Quantum Optics has a wide range of applications, including in quantum computing, quantum communication, and precision measurements. It also has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, imaging, and sensing.

4. Where does Quantum Optics fit in the broader field of physics?

Quantum Optics sits at the intersection of quantum mechanics and optics, and is a subfield of both. It also has connections to other areas of physics, such as atomic, molecular, and optical physics, as well as condensed matter physics and quantum information science.

5. How does Quantum Optics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Quantum Optics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of matter and light at the smallest scale. It has also led to the development of new technologies that have greatly advanced our ability to study and manipulate quantum systems.