Where Did My Boots Go? The Mystery of Disappearing Footwear

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary: This is getting weird, you answered before i replied.Dead end links Turbo, lost like my shoes, even if i had amnesia and forgot what i had done with them surly a search would find them.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Some call them boots, they are the pull on type that come above the ankle, these ones were my most comfortable ones i could wear them all day, they must be 10 yrs old and still looked as good as new, well no more because they have gone vanished, i know i am a bit nutty, but to loose my boots is just to much, i have searched every where even the adjoining land with no luck, i mean even if i sleep walk (which is not a happy thought because i sleep kit less) surly i would find them, thinking i could have buried them i even looked to see if the weeds had been disturbed in my garden, ok i have finally flipped, boots do not just vanish.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another alien abduction story?

chemisttree said:
Another alien abduction story?

I am a skeptic for both aliens and ghosts, i do think there are as yet unexplained natural phenomena, but i am sure my boots do not fit any of them.

Are you married? Maybe they "disappeared" because your spouse secretly hated them. I had a pair of pants do that.

Beeza said:
Are you married? Maybe they "disappeared" because your spouse secretly hated them. I had a pair of pants do that.

No, i am sad to say a certain person will not entertain the idea.

Do neighborhood dogs have free run of your quarters? They seem to have a propensity for stealing the stinkiest things they can find.

Are you related to Cindarella?

If so, a lost boot could be a good sign. Even in the movie, Heroes, a lost shoe wound up turning out somewhat well for the hero.

Turbo, of all my faults stinky feet is not one of them, well not if i have changed my socks
within seven days or so, and i doubt if any animal could get into my house and carry my boots away.

BobG said:

If so, a lost boot could be a good sign. Even in the movie, Heroes, a lost shoe wound up turning out somewhat well for the hero.

I should be so lucky, LOL.

These aren't the same boots you destroyed back when you had to get a swollen, bloody, damaged foot out of them, are they? Did they survive that incident, or were you so distraught from fatigue and pain that you've completely forgotten their demise?

I'd be annoyed if I lost my shoes too. I only have one pair. I can't imagine misplacing them though. I definitely can't imagine anyone wanting to steal them.

Moonbear said:
These aren't the same boots you destroyed back when you had to get a swollen, bloody, damaged foot out of them, are they? Did they survive that incident, or were you so distraught from fatigue and pain that you've completely forgotten their demise?

They were my bike boots, they are still intact and gathering cobwebs in a corner, i have not been able to kick start my bike since that incident.
These shoes were ones that i could wear with some comfort, my favorite going out shoes,
how can one loose a pair of shoes?

Moonbear said:
I'd forgotten about that. Did we recommend some combination of self-medication combined with edgy mechanical shoe-removal techniques? The combo might have induced a rare form of amnesia that is mentioned here:

www.wherearemyfreakingshoes.com

and is covered in the more general form here:

www.whereismystuffandwhotookit.com

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot of this going around, so if you can't get into the relevant sites, please keep trying, perhaps late at night or at different times of day.

turbo-1 said:
I'd forgotten about that. Did we recommend some combination of self-medication combined with edgy mechanical shoe-removal techniques? The combo might have induced a rare form of amnesia that is mentioned here:

www.wherearemyfreakingshoes.com

and is covered in the more general form here:

www.whereismystuffandwhotookit.com

Dead end links Turbo, lost like my shoes, even if i had amnesia and forgot what i had done with them surly a search would find them.

turbo-1 said:
There's a lot of this going around, so if you can't get into the relevant sites, please keep trying, perhaps late at night or at different times of day.

This is getting weird, you answered before i replied.

wolram said:
Dead end links Turbo, lost like my shoes, even if i had amnesia and forgot what i had done with them surly a search would find them.
We ARE in different time-zones, Woolie. Geesh, these little electrons can't get from New England to OLD England immediately. You probably have old cobbled-together medieval wiring that slows up electrons such that you can't figure out when the message was sent. Are you still using the original transatlantic cable?

turbo-1 said:
We ARE in different time-zones, Woolie. Geesh, these little electrons can't get from New England to OLD England immediately. You probably have old cobbled-together medieval wiring that slows up electrons such that you can't figure out when the message was sent. Are you still using the original transatlantic cable?

My cable is sagging a bit maybe i should tension it, how much tension will bronze take?

wolram said:
My cable is sagging a bit maybe i should tension it, how much tension will bronze take?
Due to conversion factors (furlongs per fortnight and all that) I am reluctant to offer recommendations. Glad to see that your network has at least gone beyond hammered-tin conductors and has moved on to bronze. Good for you! Perhaps some day you will manage to get a decent dial-up connection. Look to Armenia for a role model in this regard.

I can not find Armenia, seems i can even loose a country.

Have you checked on the fridge, in the oven, or down the back of the sofa?

The obvious places are usually the ones to check first :smile:

Also, [pedant] it's lose -- sorry, that's one of my pet hates. I thought you were English wolram :mad: <--- that's me, I should loosen my collar :-p [/pedant]

J77 said:
Have you checked on the fridge, in the oven, or down the back of the sofa?

The obvious places are usually the ones to check first :smile:

Also, [pedant] it's lose -- sorry, that's one of my pet hates. I thought you were English wolram :mad: <--- that's me, I should loosen my collar :-p [/pedant]

I have had it from very high authority that i may be instrumental in changing the English language. LOL

And yes i have looked in all the obvious places.

In 1966, the US http://www.haverford.edu/math/colloquium/Stromquist.htm in the Mediterranean Sea and later managed to find it under the couch using techniques of Bayesian Probability. I'd suggest the same technique for finding your lost shoes, or, perhaps, a Monte Carlo simulation or Random Search Formula. Or maybe they found it near Palomares, Spain, I can't remember which.

This http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0025-570X(197711)50%3A5%3C248%3ASTAMTF%3E2.0.CO%3B2-Y also explains how to find lost objects, but reading the article will probably cost more than the shoes are worth. Of course, the theories can be applied to other objects and very effective, especially if the object is under the couch.

This article teaches more primitive methods of finding lost objects. It's not as fun, and not nearly as effective, but usually works if the object is under the couch.

In the future, I'd consider installing a GPS locator and transmitter in the heels of your shoes. Of course, you might arrive at your destination barefoot if you try to travel by air wearing them.

Bob, i am nearly all ways barefoot, and as for them fancy finding things, hmmm.

I once found my teakettle in the fridge and a carton of milk in the cupboard.

Didn't you find a missing slipper under a night stand or low table?

Werent these the 1s you had troubles once for taking them off? :bugeye:

BobG said:

:smile:
Woldarella?

Evo said:
I once found my teakettle in the fridge and a carton of milk in the cupboard.

Didn't you find a missing slipper under a night stand or low table?

Under the telephone table, but that was at the folk es place, if i were not strong willed, i would commit myself.

I'm thinking that in another universe, there are billions of unmatched socks and Wolram's boots.

Evo said:
I'm thinking that in another universe, there are billions of unmatched socks and Wolram's boots.

If there was such a universe i would blow it to kingdom come, i would rent untold havoc and destruction upon it, that universe would think a maelstrom was a wind eddy, it would prey for non existence, but if i had my boots back all would be ok.

Perhaps the barking deer got wind of their planned accidental death and ate your boots.

I think these boots are evil!:devil:

Lisa! said:
I think these boots are evil!:devil:

Hi, Lisa, to be sure i do not know, if things like this continue to happen i will believe in magic peacocks.

Evo said:
Perhaps the barking deer got wind of their planned accidental death and ate your boots.
Divine justice! Yes! I love a conspiracy, especially when it involves animals that are too smart for their own good (and are potentially tasty). :-p

turbo-1 said:
Divine justice! Yes! I love a conspiracy, especially when it involves animals that are too smart for their own good (and are potentially tasty). :-p

I missed the one about the animals, well there is one sure way to find out if my boots were ingested, best get me goggles and pinny on.

It is soooo sweeeeeeet that you like your shoes!:smile: