Where Can I Find Free Online Courses on Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, Malcolm is looking for an online course to learn quantum physics. He has some background in math and physics, but has been away from education for awhile. He is considering two courses, one from Prof. Balakrishnan and one from Prof. Harbola. He should check out both courses and decide which one is best for him.
gmalcolm77
:rolleyes: I would like to find a free online course, not too hard. I have minors in math and physics, but have been away for awhile. Maybe something on youtube. If someone knows of a decent course that I could educate myself with I would appreciate any info on it. Thanks in advance, Malcolm. ?:)

Physics news on Phys.org
With the understanding that you know single variable Calculus and defferential equations, I would prefer two courses:
  • http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/122106034/ by Prof. V. Balakrishnan
  • http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/115104096/ by Prof. Manoj Harbola
Both courses are available in the PF media gallery under category Quantum.

Prof. Balakrishnan starts directly from the rigors of Quantum, and you are expected to know some amount of classical mechanics.

Prof. Harbola, on the other hand, starts from the beginning of Quantum, that is, how the theory was formulated. Then he goes on to some of the rigors.

You should go through both the courses and see which is suitable for you. I think the one by Prof. Harbola is good for beginners. Once you're done with that, go over to Prof. Balakrishnan's lectures.

In case you like to start directly with the rigors, but at a lesser math level, I've got a great book. If you want, I'll tell the name and how to buy it. But first check these courses.

Last edited:
  • http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/122106034/ by Prof. V. Balakrishnan
  • http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/115104096/ by Prof. Manoj Harbola
Thanks for the timely information and I will definitely do one or both of these courses. Malcolm. :biggrin:

Likes Wrichik Basu

Related to Where Can I Find Free Online Courses on Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles interact and how they behave differently from classical mechanics.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand and explain many phenomena in the natural world that cannot be explained by classical mechanics. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography.

3. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it considers particles to have both wave-like and particle-like properties, and it allows for uncertainty in the behavior and position of particles. It also introduces the concept of superposition, where a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. How can I learn quantum mechanics?

Learning quantum mechanics requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is recommended to start by studying classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and linear algebra. There are also many online resources, textbooks, and courses available that can help in learning quantum mechanics.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications in various fields, such as electronics, telecommunications, and cryptography. It is also used in medical imaging, nuclear energy, and materials science. Some examples of quantum technologies include quantum computers, quantum sensors, and quantum cryptography systems.