Where Can a Physics Undergrad Find Summer Work in Their Field?

In summary: They do, but they're not as good as REUs. In summary, if you're interested in a physics-related job, you should look into REUs or COOP opportunities.
NeoDevin
I'm in my third year of undergrad mathematical physics, at University of Alberta, Canada. I want to find a job this summer that pays decently, but is strongly related to my field. Thing is, I don't know where to start looking really, do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I do. Ask your professors about REU opportunities. It might have a slightly different name at your university, but REUs are basically paid summer research opportunities for undergraduates. It's not a "job" per se. But you make about the same amount of money, and your research will be in some area of physics.

We have them at our university in Auckalnd NZ, they pay better than a summer job and are tax free :D

arunma said:
I do. Ask your professors about REU opportunities. It might have a slightly different name at your university, but REUs are basically paid summer research opportunities for undergraduates. It's not a "job" per se. But you make about the same amount of money, and your research will be in some area of physics.

Yes, in Canada the equivalent are "NSERC USRA"'s - "National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada Undergraduate Research Awards".

It might be a little late to apply for these now, but it might be worth looking at some of the university websites to see if there are any whose deadlines haven't passed yet.

You can also try looking at TRIUMF, out at UBC, to see if they're still taking applications for any summer jobs: www.triumf.ca. Unfortunately, I think all of the jobs listed under "Undergraduate Student Jobs" had a deadline of Jan 24th, but who knows, something might open up in the future.

You can also try this, whose deadline is still open:

http://cqiqc.physics.utoronto.ca/job-openings/CQIQC2007.pdf

At very least, if you're not going to graduate next year (or even if you are), these are things to keep in mind for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, are there anything besides REUs in the summer?

Doesn't your university offer COOP?

Related to Where Can a Physics Undergrad Find Summer Work in Their Field?

What is summer work for physics?

Summer work for physics refers to any assignments or projects that are assigned to students over the summer break in order to continue learning and practicing physics concepts. This work is typically assigned by teachers or professors in order to help students stay engaged and prepared for the upcoming school year.

Why is summer work important for physics?

Summer work for physics is important because it allows students to continue practicing and applying their knowledge of physics during the break. This helps to prevent knowledge loss and allows students to start the school year with a strong foundation in the subject.

What kind of assignments are typically given for summer work in physics?

Summer work for physics can include a variety of assignments such as problem sets, reading assignments, research projects, or even hands-on experiments. The type of assignment will vary based on the level and goals of the course.

How much time should I dedicate to summer work for physics?

The amount of time you should spend on summer work for physics will depend on the specific assignments given and your own personal pace. It is recommended to set aside a consistent amount of time each week to work on the assignments, and to start early to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Can I get help with my summer work for physics?

Yes, you can always reach out to your teacher or professor for help with your summer work for physics. They may also be able to provide additional resources or clarification on the assignments. Additionally, working with a study group or tutor can also be beneficial.