When does the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality hold?

In summary, the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality states that for all inner products, the dot product is less than the sum of the inner products.
Benny
Hi, I need to use the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality to prove the following inequality.

[tex]
\left( {a_1 + ... + a_n } \right)^2 \le n\left( {a_1 ^2 + ... + a_n ^2 } \right),\forall a_i \in R
[/tex]

When does equality hold?

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is [tex]\left| {\left\langle {\mathop u\limits^ \to ,\mathop v\limits^ \to } \right\rangle } \right| \le \left\| {\mathop u\limits^ \to } \right\|\left\| {\mathop v\limits^ \to } \right\|[/tex].

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality holds for all inner products. Since the dot product is the only 'standard' inner product then the dot product is probably going to be needed here which hopefully means that the calculations won't be too involved.

At the moment I'm lost for ideas. Seeing the n on the RHS suggests that the two vectors have components which are multiples of n and reciprocals of n. Also, seeing that only a_i appears on both sides of the equation. I think I can take u = v in the Cauchy Schwartz inequality. So I'm dealing with a single vector. I can't think of a way to start this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, think about the standard inner product, and find a specific vector u such that the thing you're trying to prove is just a statement of the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality for that specific vector u. For an analogy, what you're trying to prove is analogous to proving |5 + y| < |5| + |y| given the triangle inequality |x + y| < |x| + |y|. Once you see how your inequality is related to the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, you will be able to determine when equality holds in your inequality from when it holds in the C-S inequality.

Hint, square root both sides of your inequality (or square both sides of the C-S inequality) and recall the definitions of the standard norm and the standard inner product.

Thanks, I'll have a think about it.

Related to When does the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality hold?

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar. It is denoted by <x, y> and is often referred to as the dot product.

2. How is an inner product related to inequality?

An inner product can be used to define an inequality between two vectors. This is done by comparing the magnitudes of the vectors and the angle between them. The inequality states that <x, y> ≥ 0 and is equal to 0 only when the two vectors are orthogonal.

3. What is the significance of the inequality in inner product?

The inequality in inner product is significant because it allows us to compare and order vectors in terms of their direction and magnitude. It also has important applications in geometry, physics, and optimization problems.

4. Can the inner product inequality be extended to more than two vectors?

Yes, the inner product inequality can be extended to any number of vectors. The inequality states that the inner product of any vector with itself is always greater than or equal to 0, and the inner product of any two different vectors is also greater than or equal to 0.

5. How is the inner product inequality used in real-world problems?

The inner product inequality has many practical applications, such as in signal processing, image and video compression, machine learning, and computer graphics. It is also used in physics to determine the stability and equilibrium of physical systems.