Inequality involving series using Cauchy-Schwartz

In summary: Cauchy-Schwarz directly. Instead, we need to consider partial sums and take limits.In summary, the problem statement is incorrect as the inequality provided cannot be proven using Cauchy-Schwarz. Instead, a different approach using partial sums and limits would be necessary to prove the statement.
powerof

Homework Statement

[/B]
Prove the following:

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}^{2} \leq \left ( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}^{2/3} \right )^{1/2} \left ( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}^{4/3} \right )^{1/2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[/B]
The following generalization of Cauchy-Schwarz present in the text (containing the problem) is useful (assume all the sequences are so that the series converge):

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}b_{k} \leq \left ( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}^{2} \right )^{1/2} \left ( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}b_{k}^{2} \right )^{1/2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have tried thinking of defining ##a_{k}## and ##b_{k}## as powers of an identical sequence: ##a_{k} = \phi_{k}^{n}## and ##b_{k}=\phi_{k}^{m}##. Substituting into Cauchy-Schwartz I may get an idea of what n and m should be:

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\phi_{k}^{n}\phi_{k}^{m} \leq \left ( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(\phi_{k}^{n})^{2} \right )^{1/2} \left ( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(\phi_{k}^{m})^{2} \right )^{1/2}\Rightarrow 2n=2/3,2m=4/3 \Rightarrow n=\frac{1}{3},m=\frac{2}{3}[/itex]

With these values of n and m I am left with:

[itex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\phi_{k} \leq \left ( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\phi_{k}^{2/3} \right )^{1/2} \left ( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\phi_{k}^{4/3} \right )^{1/2}[/itex]

I don't get the ##\phi_k ^2## on the left side but at least I have the right powers on the right side.

Now if my method is correct I need to show that ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}^{2}## is bounded by ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_{k}## (note that I have substituted phi with a but it's just names so it doesn't matter) because the last is bounded by the right side thus proving the initial statement. In the infinite it's somewhat intuitive since the terms get closer and closer to 0 (necessary for convergence) and a small number, x, when squared gets even lower in value so x>x^2 when x small. But this trend is assured in the limit, in the infinite. It says nothing about what the first term, the second, and so on is so I cannot use that reasoning here.

I am stuck so I would appreciate some hints as to what I can do or different approaches to this problem.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the intended method, but I can't see how to get the right hand side correct if you fix [itex]n + m = 2[/itex] as the left hand side requires.

Certainly you cannot conclude that [itex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty \phi_k^2 \leq \sum_{k=1}^\infty \phi_k[/itex]: take [itex]\phi_k = -1/k^2[/itex] for example.

I guess this is a typo in the problem statement and the left side should be ak. You cannot prove something wrong.
Consider a1=8, ak=0 for all other k. The left side is 64, the right side is 8.

Thank your for your help. The counterexamples definitely make this inequality impossible, so a typo it must be. Have a nice day!

Cauchy-Schwarz for ℝN states [itex]\vert \sum_{j=1}^{N}u_{j}v_{j}\vert \leq \sqrt{\sum_{j=1}^{N}u_{j}^{2}}\cdot \sqrt{\sum_{j=1}^{N}v_{j}^{2}} [/itex]. Now, let [itex] u_{k}=a_{k}^{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex] and [itex] v_{k}=a_{k}^{\frac{2}{3}}[/itex]. Then [itex]u_{k}v_{k}=a_{k}^{\frac{1+2}{3}}=a_{k} [/itex]. Cauchy-Schwarz - still for ℝN - gives [itex]\vert \sum_{k=1}^{N}a_{k}\vert \leq \sqrt{\sum_{k=1}^{N}a_{k}^{\frac{2}{3}}}\cdot \sqrt{\sum_{k=1}^{N}a_{k}^{\frac{4}{3}}} [/itex].
  1. The answer is different from the problem statement
  2. There is no guarantee that the sums under the square root converge as N→∞

Related to Inequality involving series using Cauchy-Schwartz

What is Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?

Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is a fundamental inequality in mathematics that states that for any two vectors in an inner product space, the magnitude of their dot product is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. It can also be extended to series of vectors.

How is Cauchy-Schwartz inequality used in series involving inequalities?

Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is used to prove other inequalities involving series, such as the triangle inequality and the rearrangement inequality. It can also be used to prove the convergence of series and to find upper and lower bounds for their sums.

What are the conditions for Cauchy-Schwartz inequality to hold in a series?

The conditions for Cauchy-Schwartz inequality to hold in a series are that the series must be finite, the terms of the series must be real or complex numbers, and the series must be convergent. Additionally, the series must be in a space with an inner product defined.

Can Cauchy-Schwartz inequality be used for infinite series?

No, Cauchy-Schwartz inequality cannot be used for infinite series because it is only defined for finite series. However, it can be extended to infinite series using the concept of limits and convergence.

What are some examples of problems involving Cauchy-Schwartz inequality in series?

Examples of problems involving Cauchy-Schwartz inequality in series include finding upper and lower bounds for the sums of series, proving the convergence of series, and proving other inequalities such as the triangle inequality and the rearrangement inequality.