What's the best book to learn general relativity?

In summary, there are several options for books to learn general relativity for undergraduate and graduate students. Landau&Lifshitz vol. II is a concise and clearly written option that covers necessary tensor calculus. Misner, Thorne, Wheeler offers a more advanced approach that is also enjoyable to read. Weinberg's Gravitation and Cosmology and Cosmology (2008) are good alternatives, with the latter focusing on the physicist's perspective. For a modern take on cosmology, Zee's book is recommended. Hartle's Gravity is also highly recommended as a first text, and Tevian Dray's Differential Forms and the Geometry of General Relativity is a great resource for understanding the mathematics.
cristianbahena
What is the best book to learn general relativity for undergraduate and graduate students ? And why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I learned it quite quickly from Landau&Lifshitz vol. II. It comes to the point without much ado, and it's clearly written including the necessary tensor calculus (Ricci only, no modern Cartan formulation).

Then there's also Misner, Thorne, Wheeler, where you precisely get the more advanced method, and it's written in a way that it's fun. There's just a reprint of the original book, which is even at a fantastic price (in Germany it's just 60EUR, which is really a good price for such a voluminous physics textbook of this outstanding quality of content).

Another good choice, and a good alternative to MTW, because it's emphasizing the physicists' point of view over the geometers' point of view, is Weinberg's Gravitation and Cosmology.

If you are aiming also at cosmology, you should get a very new text since all the books I mentioned above a pretty much outdated given the enormous progress made in the field. Again, there's a book by Weinberg, Cosmology (2008).

Likes cristianbahena and websterling
I'd recommend Zee's book because it's fun to read, but also very complete and has a lot of modern topics.

Likes cristianbahena
I still have to look at Zee's GR book. I hesitate to look at any book by him after I regretted to have bought his QFT book (I've never before nor after regretted to have bought a QFT book, but in this case I have...).

Likes cristianbahena
As discussed in another thread on GR books, Zee's gravity book is much better than his QFT book.

However, I recommend Hartle's Gravity as a first text.

If it was fleshed out a bit more, I think Tevian Dray's Differential Forms and the Geometry of General Relativity would be the ideal way to teach the mathematics.

Likes cristianbahena, smodak and vanhees71
Look at Hartle. In my opinion, this is the best introductory book in GR

Likes PeroK and cristianbahena
Likes dextercioby and Demystifier

Related to What's the best book to learn general relativity?

1. What is the best book to learn general relativity?

The best book to learn general relativity will ultimately depend on your level of understanding and learning style. Some popular options include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz, "Gravitation" by Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler, and "General Relativity" by Robert M. Wald.

2. What are the important topics to look for in a book about general relativity?

A good book on general relativity should cover topics such as the basics of special relativity, the equivalence principle, the mathematics of general relativity, the Schwarzschild solution, and applications of general relativity in astrophysics and cosmology.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about general relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about general relativity, such as online courses, lecture notes, and video lectures. Some popular options include the online course "General Relativity" by Leonard Susskind on Stanford University's YouTube channel, and lecture notes from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's "General Relativity" course.

4. Can someone with no background in physics understand general relativity from a book?

While a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is helpful, it is possible for someone with no background in physics to learn general relativity from a book. However, it may require more effort and patience, and it is recommended to start with books that provide a gentle introduction to the topic.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to learn general relativity?

A strong mathematical background is not necessary to learn general relativity, but it can certainly make the learning process easier. Some understanding of calculus and linear algebra is essential, and familiarity with differential geometry can be helpful in understanding the mathematical concepts used in general relativity.