Reviews of “Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein’s General Relativity”

Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary: Review/Rating of “Gravity … … “ by James B. Hartle

Thoughts regarding prerequisites for reading this book

I would be really grateful if someone would rate/evaluate/review James B. Hartle’z book, “Gravity: An introduction to Einstein’s General Relativity”

Would the book be suitable for self study … especially given that James Hartle has provided a free solutions manual of 389 pages … which includes solutions to all problems in his book!!!

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably the most accessible serious introduction to GR. And possibly the best for self-study. GR, however, is not an easy subject. The main prerequisite is to have a really thorough grasp of SR. Hartle revises SR in the book, but I don't think that's enough by itself. And, although Hartle goes as light as possible on the mathematics, the book still requires familiarity with advanced undergraduate mathematics.

Likes Klystron, dextercioby, Math Amateur and 1 other person
PeroK said:
And possibly the best for self-study.

Oh yes, I agree with that. It's a great book.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
It's probably the most accessible serious introduction to GR. And possibly the best for self-study. GR, however, is not an easy subject. The main prerequisite is to have a really thorough grasp of SR. Hartle revises SR in the book, but I don't think that's enough by itself. And, although Hartle goes as light as possible on the mathematics, the book still requires familiarity with advanced undergraduate mathematics.
Thanks so much, PeroK .... that is most helpful ...

Peter