What's New in R.Wald General Relativity?

In summary, the conversation is about the book "General Relativity" by R. Wald and the differences between its 1984 edition and the latest edition. The person asking the question is primarily interested in the changes in the theoretical content. However, it is revealed that there is no newer edition and the "new" referred to a later printing of the 1984 edition.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
R.Wald "General Relativity"

Hi,everyone,i got a question:"What are the major (and why not the minor) modifications in the contents of the book R.Wald "General Relativity" between its 1984 edition and the last one,the one which can be found on 'amazon' at an awful price ?"

I'm mostly interested in the purely theoretical part...

Thanking you in advance,

Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wasn't even aware there WAS a more recent edition. I have the 1984 edition also, and it's the only one I can find on amazon. Can you provide a link to the new one?

- Warren

Ooops,there isn't,indeed Amazon is selling the 1984 edition.I assumed the part with "new" would refer to a later (probably revised) printing.My mistake.

Thank you,Warren.

Daniel.

Related to What's New in R.Wald General Relativity?

1. What is R. Wald General Relativity?

R. Wald General Relativity is a theory of gravity that was developed by Robert M. Wald in the 1980s. It is a mathematical framework that describes the effects of gravity on the structure of space and time.

2. How does R. Wald General Relativity differ from Einstein's theory of General Relativity?

R. Wald General Relativity is a more rigorous and mathematical formulation of Einstein's theory. It builds upon Einstein's theory, but also incorporates more recent developments in mathematics and physics.

3. What are the key concepts of R. Wald General Relativity?

The key concepts of R. Wald General Relativity include the principle of equivalence, the principle of covariance, and the principle of general covariance. It also involves the use of mathematical tools such as tensor calculus and differential geometry.

4. How does R. Wald General Relativity explain the phenomenon of gravity?

R. Wald General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy. In this theory, massive objects like planets and stars create a "dent" in the fabric of space-time, which causes other objects to move towards them.

5. What are some practical applications of R. Wald General Relativity?

R. Wald General Relativity has been used to accurately predict the orbits of planets, the bending of light by massive objects, and the behavior of objects in strong gravitational fields. It is also essential for understanding the structure and evolution of the universe.